Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,

i am going to be adding some Extron distributors to my HT setup.

how much difference might there be between using:

dedicated BNC--->RCA cable

vs

standard cable quality male BNC to female RCA adapter (ie, Steren http://www.123av.com/Products.asp?CatBrand_ID=176 )

vs

MonsterCable male BNC to female RCA adapter ( http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1362 )

vs

?

has anyone out there actually measured conductive differences or seen meaningful differences visually when they have tried variations?

i have a number of Extron BNC-->BNC cables already that i bought on ebay.

thanks in advance,

kurt

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have personnaly conducted swept measurements on several RCA to BNC adapters and have found their inclusion to insignificant. Not immeasurable, but on the order of less than .1 dB out to 1 GHz.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Nighthawk,

Does that include the cheaper Radio Shack-type adaptors, that loosely twist on? My Parasound C2 includes BNC to RCA adpatos but they aren't especially snug. Is it worth it to look for a better adaptor...or should I just tighten these up with a pair of pliers (the RCA end, that is). Or is it fine the way it is? Thanks

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have tested some that came from Radio Shack. They did not seem overly cheap or loose and the electrical tests were on par with other brands. That's not to say however that yours are not defective or of lesser quality. They may be, as I'm sure Radio Shack has had several suppliers of these over the years. Certainly a slight tighting of the RCA end could only help but you can also find other high quality brands on-line for about $5 ->7 each.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

I have an sdi modded dvd player that connects to my vid scaler with bnc's and i just used a standard 75ohm cable and the ratshack bnc male to rca female and it works perfectly. Just in case i had a local electronics shop make me a good quality cable with bnc's and i A/B'd the cables and did not notice any diff.

Peter m.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.