AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the difference in quality or compatibility of the HDMI v. IEEE 1394 connections for audio purposes only. I realize that the 2900 has neither, but what I'm wondering is, does the IEEE on the 5900 get me where I need to go, or do I need a player with HDMI. Remember, I'm only talking about hi-res audio here.

I'm in the minority here as I'm not too interested in DVI as I run a FP CRT with a Lumagen scaler. My plan is to upgrade my current Vision scaler to something (Lumagen HDP or IScan HD) that will accept a SDI input.

I'm struggling with which player to buy to get modded as there are a number of options (5900, 2900, 59Avi)

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
wow....no input from anyone???

·
Registered
14,195 Posts
None of the players you mentioned support hi-res audio through HDMI. You will need the latest HDMI player with HDMI 1.1 to get DVD-Audio from HDMI. It still doesn't carry SACD though. I'm not too farmiliar with 1394. I know it can carry SACD but not sure about DVD-Audio.

·
Read the FAQ!
37,267 Posts
The audio carried by HDMI is technically the same as the more traditional digital optical or coax audio outputs you are probably already familiar with. It can be set to carry 2-channel or multi-channel audio. It will carry audio for DVDs, CDs and many DVD-A discs. Some DVD-A discs with copy protection will force the bit rate down to the CD-style rate when you use one of these three styles of digital output (optical, coax or HDMI). You can not get SACD output over any of these three styles of digital output due to industry marketing restrictions.

IEEE 1394 (firewire or "I-link") is unique in that it will carry digital SACD data and DVD-A data at full bit rate even with copy protected discs, as well as the more normal CD and DVD digital audio. Some manufacturers implement optional features of that standard that are supposed to provide even higher quality audio via clock-locking technologies. Pioneer's marketing term for this is "PQLS".

Denon offers I-link, but they also offer their slightly older, proprietary "DENON-LINK" on many of the same players. Due to industry marketing tangles, Denon has not obtained the necessary approvals to implement SACD over Denon-link. The real issue here is the receiver end for Denon as some of their receivers only implement Denon-link. For such setups, you need to pass SACD data and copy protected DVD-A data via ANALOG audio outputs from the player to the receiver.

--Bob

·
Registered
14,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
The audio carried by HDMI is technically the same as the more traditional digital optical or coax audio outputs you are probably already familiar with. It can be set to carry 2-channel or multi-channel audio. It will carry audio for DVDs, CDs and many DVD-A discs. Some DVD-A discs with copy protection will force the bit rate down to the CD-style rate when you use one of these three styles of digital output (optical, coax or HDMI). You can not get SACD output over any of these three styles of digital output due to industry marketing restrictions.
The older HDMI 1.0 devices can only carry down-sampled DVD-A two-channel mix PCM sound if allowed, not the full res version. The new HDMI 1.1 devices can carry full brown DVD-A multi-channel hi-res audio for ALL DVD-A discs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I read in one of the threads that HDMI v1.2 can carry SACD. Is this true? If so, will products coming out like the Anthem D1 processor upgrade with HMDI use the new spec or will it not matter since it has SACD? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input so far. I know that the 2900 has neither HDMI nor IEEE 1394 and the 5900 only has the latter. I'm trying to decide if its worth the extra $$ to step up to a 5900 given the fact that I'll be using an SDI connection for the video anyway. At least that's the plan. In the short term, I'll run 480i into my Lumagen Vision. That's why I was most concerned about the audio capabilities of the two hi-res digital connections. If I spend the extra $$$ on the 5900, will I be kicking myself a year from now by not having a player with HDMI?? (I don't plan on using anything other than SDI for video for some time.)

Side question: is the 480i on the 5900 any better than the 480i on the 2900??

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand that the 5900 doesn't carry hi res via HDMI (in fact it doesn't even have the connection.) I just wonder if the IEEE 1394 it does have is all that I need if I have no need for the video output.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yes the 5900 will carry SACD and DVD-A, PCM, DD, and DTS via i.Link.

Daniel Smith

·
Banned
3,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Pariseau
Denon offers I-link, but they also offer their slightly older, proprietary "DENON-LINK" on many of the same players. Due to industry marketing tangles, Denon has not obtained the necessary approvals to implement SACD over Denon-link. The real issue here is the receiver end for Denon as some of their receivers only implement Denon-link. For such setups, you need to pass SACD data and copy protected DVD-A data via ANALOG audio outputs from the player to the receiver.

--Bob
Just a quick clarification on DVD-A over DenonLink. As of DenonLink II, copy protected DVD-A signals can be sent over the link. SACD is still prohibited. DENON has issued DenonLink III, which receives SACD signals but because of legal/liscensing issues has yet to issue a player that could send SACD signals over the link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.