AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching Spiderman from my Series 1 Tivo recorded from digital cable VERY near DVD quality (no complaints). My guess is that the newest releases are more digitally recorded or at lease post-produced specifically geared towards digital output.

If this is the case, then the future looks bright!

Can't wait for that HDTV Tivo with 5.1 surround!!!

Is it me or just one too many beers tonight?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Hmmm, weird. I saw Spiderman at two different theaters here in Houston and without a doubt it was the worst QUALITY film I had viewed at a theater in ages. It was sooooooo grainy I thought that they had got like a 4th gen copy of the film or something. Then I saw it at another theater megaplex place and it looked the same. I was not impressed.

I was hoping that it was just a result of bad luck with a crappy projector in both cases but the DVD itself looked bad on both my 36" direct view and the new 61" DLP. :(

Oh yeah... the fact that my ancient DVD player froze at one point during a layer change (I think) kinda irked me too... but that's not the DVDs fault.

Hopefully I can see this movie on a screen that actually makes it look good. Despite my issue with graininess, I liked the film alot.

Glad you had a good digital cable Spidey experience.

Enjoy the show!

Regs,

Jeff

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had problems with the Spiderman DVD also. The PQ was fine, as I am still using a poor 27" CRT Panny, but the disc confused my Toshiba DVD player. The little "Pop Ip Video" factoids kept coming on, even when I had them turned off in the menu. This is the only disc that has suffered that problem... Weird, and annoying. I ended up watching the movie via my Xbox, which didn't help the quality any, either.

A pox on the Spiderman DVD!

RDaneel

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm. Not sure about the DVD. I do know that DVD's through my HTPC seem to be much better than my progressive Toshiba SR4700.

I orginally saw it in a new "all digital" (I think) Theater and I don't recall any issues.

Oh well - another mystery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.