AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new widescreen and upon first hooking it up I noticed that the crispness of words and ticker bars, as well as sports scores and temperature, at the bottom of most broadcasts aren't very crisp. Thinking it was my new Sony 51" I returned it and got another. To my dismay the same thing was happening. I went back to another dealer (Best Buy) and looked at all their HDTV projection TVs and noticed the same thing on all of their HDTV monitors irregardless of the manufacturer or whether it was widescreen or 4:3. Sure, the color and quality of the "look" of the broadcasts were MUCH better than my ole 50" analog PhilipsMagnavox, but alas what I previously described was an issue still.

One of the helpful associates at Best Buy told me that the problem lies w/in the new TVs being so far ahead of analog that the analog broadcasts aren't strong enough for the new TV to display properly. He then hooked up a digital tuner to the same model of Sony I had bought and showed me the difference. Instantly you could see a major difference. He told me that the tuners will help to increase the resolution on an HDTV monitor, even if it was an analog signal. I'm not sure, though, if that is true since it was now after 7pm and our local stations broadcast sports in HDTV and most programming then, and what he was showing me WAS an HDTV signal.

I guess my main "?" is this:

Is there a way to improve the quality of my DirecTV signal as well as my local analog broadcasts to a level where the writing is at least as clear as my other 50" analog bigscreen?

I came close to buying the new Hughes Platinum HD receiver thinking that this would help my regular "non HDTV" DirecTV broadcasts look better (esp. CNN Headlines news--you notice what I'm talking about on channel 204 w/ their ticker bars and such, or even ESPN sports programming w/ the scores and such). I was told it would help, but I'm hestitant to spend this money right now if it isn't going to.

Has anyone else had a situation like this? I know I can't be the only once since you can notice it at any widescreen dealer running the non HDTV signals to their display models. All of their traditional analog bigscreens look fine.

BTW, my satellite is hooked up fine, has a great signal, and I'm using S-Video. It's nothing "technical" on my end.

Thank you for your help!

James Parker

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the new JVC Av48WP30, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. The scaling on this set, seems to display much better analog signals than othe HD ready models

·
Registered
271 Posts
This could be due to any number of reasons. The CRTs may be blooming due to the Picture control set too high. Gimmick features such as Velocity Modulation may be engaged. Convergence may be out of alignment. The TV's onboard scaler may be mucking things up. The set makers continue to commit the crime of shipping HD-ready sets whose performance on SD material is indeed worse than that of the old analog sets.

Most RPTVs look pretty dissapointing as shipped but can be made to produce accurate, gorgeous pictures at the hand of a professional calibrator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Marty VA
Check the new JVC Av48WP30, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised. The scaling on this set, seems to display much better analog signals than othe HD ready models
I wasn't impressed w/ this system. Even connected to an HD signal.

Anyhoo, taking back this Sony is not an option for me. The TV is excellent, but the analog signals and DirecTV signal isn't the best.

My main "?" was if a digital tuner will help to correct any of this?

Does anyone have this set that can give some answers to what they have done?

BfB

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Any idea, James, what your Sony is displaying the images/lettering at? Does the owners manual (or 'net sources) say a standard 480i NTSC signal is displayed, deinterlaced, at 480p, or is 480i boosted to, say, 960 scan lines, with the horizontal resolution doubled, too? If 480i is undergoing such a boost, is the quality of each local source good enough for this? Are your DBS signals good enough? If the set is boosting all standard signals like this, and provides an option for bypassing the boost, how do the 'non-enhanced' images compare? My experience with my HDTV, which converts 480i only to 480p, is that all of the lettering on hundreds of cable TV channels is crisp and clear--apart from some sources that are excessively noisy or fuzzy to start with.

A digital tuner will only pull in local digital sources (480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i). The latter two hdtv sources should look good. Any 480p sources might well appear superior to 480i NTSC sources, too. A 480p OTA source may bypass any built-in 'enhancement' boost. And if that is a source of trouble, the 480p images would appear better because they aren't being excessively enhanced. Also, 480p OTA, like DVDs, carries a wider color bandwidth that can provide a significant picture improvement. -- John

·
Registered
56 Posts
James,

I have a KP57HW40 and a Samsung SIR-T150. The OTA digital channels are DRAMATICALLY better than the analog tuner built into the Sony. The Samsung upconverts all digital signals to 1080i(you can select which rez you want output by switch). Analog stations appear flat and washed out by comparison. The only disadvantage is that if you choose 1080i, you can't use the Sony's wide zoom setting to fill the screen, and you have to live with (fairly thin)black or gray bars on the sides for 4:3 broadcasts. You can use the stretch mode in the Samsung, but I notice it often isn't working on certain channels. Perhaps 480p would be a better choice if you have to fill the screen, I need to experiment a bit more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.