AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always read in very different posts that, generally speaking, the scalers in projectors do a bad job. Sometimes however it is said that with certain projectors the quality of the scaler isn't that bad at all.

Which (brand) projectors have bad scalers and which projectors have reasonably good scalers?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Hi. I have a few experiences with this.

I think the scaler in my Hitachi CP-X275W (XGA) is very good. The linedoubler is also good and I don't see much difference with my Denon DVD-2800 in interlaced or progressive. The progressive mode sharpens the image a little but it's not noticeable in anything but test-screens and I could certainly live with just the linedoubler in the projector. The picture is also surprisingly good if I run 1280x1024 from a computer. It just softens a little.

I have used two 3M-projectors, 8725 and 8745, and they had horrible scalers. It simply looked like you lost a lot of resolution when you watched stuff on them. They lookeed ok with a HTPC, though. They also couldn't be used with anamorphic 16:9 as they didn't have a 16:9-mode.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
660 Posts
The NEC scalers are good, but they're not the best around. The Faroudja DCDi chips in the Mitsu XD200, InFocus LP5**/LS110, and the DVDO (Silicon Image) 504 chip in the Optoma 75*/H55 series are excellent. The Pixelworks chip in the Sanyo P-series and W-series is a small step behind.

The NEC pj's have some of the most comprehensive adjustments in the menu system, however. If you're using a good p-scan DVD player, then the pj's scaler doesn't matter much.

IMO, the scaler in the Hitachi/ViewSonic/Dukane clones is not the greatest. A bit above average, but not the greatest. The larger units have better scalers than the smaller ones, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.