AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, how do you guys find the upscaling quality of receivers compared to other electronics (dvd players, TV's). Are they lacking behind, or just as good, or does it really depend on the make/model?

I ask because I'm in the market for a whole new entertainment system (TV, Receivers, Speakers, HTPC). The idea of having my receiver handle all inputs and do upscaling sounds ideal, but if the technology isn't quite there yet, I may look into getting a TV that does a good job of upscaling. I don't plan on having many inputs: HTPC, Satellite and possibly Analog cable.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mo

Edit: Changed upconversion to upscaling (woops!)

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Not quite there yet in my opinion.

I still reserve this sort of functionality for dedicated video scalers / processors.

Now with displays, particularly low end displays, I can see that at least some avr's can probably scale better than the display.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophermofur /forum/post/14197923

Are they lacking behind, or just as good, or does it really depend on the make/model?

They are all over the map, from superb to pathetic.

FWIW, here is a very recent overview of a few current receivers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

Well, my budget for a receiver is about $500 and knowing that receivers in the $1000+ still struggle a bit at upscaling (well, some of them) , I doubt any receiver I buy will do a very good job.

I'll either have to look for a TV that does a decent job at upscaling, or run the analog cable through my PC and let my PC handle the upscaling (Which, I think is possible. But I'm not sure since I'm still new to all of this).

John, what did you mean when you said "dedicated" video scalers? Are there components that have the sole job of upscaling? I thought they were always part of a larger unit (e.g: HD-DVD player).

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/14197994

Not quite there yet in my opinion.

I still reserve this sort of functionality for dedicated video scalers / processors.

Now with displays, particularly low end displays, I can see that at least some avr's can probably scale better than the display.

Good post, I agree though I would leave off "probably" because some will definitely scale better than the display.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It's fantastic to see some evaluatation of these AVR VPs. I applaud HT mag for doing this. I think every professional review of a modern AVR should include these tests.

There are definitely standalone video processors. But they would seem to be outside your budget.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophermofur /forum/post/14198181

Thanks for the info.

Well, my budget for a receiver is about $500 and knowing that receivers in the $1000+ still struggle a bit at upscaling (well, some of them) , I doubt any receiver I buy will do a very good job.

Actually there's one: the new H/K 254 has Torino, the current top Faroudja chip (FLi30336 as H/K chose the single-channel one AFAIK) and though I have yet to see it first owners say it's quite impressive ( it already looked good based on specs.)

Quote:
I'll either have to look for a TV that does a decent job at upscaling, or run the analog cable through my PC and let my PC handle the upscaling (Which, I think is possible. But I'm not sure since I'm still new to all of this).

You will need a very good quality analog video input and I'm not sure if you'll be able to pass 1080p to your AVR over analog - if not then deint will still have to be done by either your TV or AVR.

Quote:
John, what did you mean when you said "dedicated" video scalers? Are there components that have the sole job of upscaling? I thought they were always part of a larger unit (e.g: HD-DVD player).

No, there's a whole forum about dedicated video processors here: Video Processors

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/14198240

It's fantastic to see some evaluatation of these AVR VPs. I applaud HT mag for doing this. I think every professional review of a modern AVR should include these tests.

QFT

·
Registered
13,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gophermofur /forum/post/14198181

Thanks for the info.

As stated above. There is a forum here for dedicated video processors.

Your talking a critical device here for maximum PQ. Even the best video processing AVR's, generally will run into some qirks when attempting to use it as the sole video processor in one's system.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helps guys. It's much appreciated.

Well, on a limited budget and having a setup where the analog signal won't be the primary source, I think money may best be spent on upgrading other components rather than looking for a dedicated upscaler.

My planned purchase date is between Sept - Dec of this year, so hopefully that will give me enough time to figure out what's a necessity and what's not.

Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts