AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got curious after reading a few threads debating the value of higher-priced speaker wire, when i started to wonder what kind if wire was inside most speaker enclosures. wouldn't it be pointless to use something like 12 gauge up to your speaker terminals if the inside of the box used 16 or 18?

· Registered
7,822 Posts
No. Resistance is cumulative ("summative"?). Heavier wire has less resistance. You use heavy wire to cut down the overall resistance in the signal path. Even if the internal wires have a much higher resistance per linear foot, there are so few linear feet in there that it doesn't add up to much.

· Registered
129 Posts
Even so I find it funny that people with ultra high end speakers (like the X2 Alexandrias, on which you can plainly see the connecting wires going between different parts of the speaker) blab so much about their Valhalla or Transparent cables when in all likelyhood the stuff inside isn't nearly as fancy or "well engineered."

· Registered
4,741 Posts
A certain well-known speaker manufacturer that I favor uses Monster Cable inside their enclosures. Fortunately, they've had the good sense not to market this too much, as the use of Monster Cable is a two-edged marketing sword. Some people would say that's great while others would go out of their way to criticize it in another pointless debate.

As DMF says, there's so little wire in there that it's not much of a factor when compared to the longer runs from the amp to the speakers. However, most quality speaker manufacturers use decent wire. It may not be brand name stuff, but you can be sure the engineers spec'd out wire that meets or exceeds the performance of most brand name cable.

Now on cheap, poorly engineered or parts bin speakers... :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.