AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using High Quality, but Iam thinking about moving to Medium. Iam thinking Ill try medium for a while, and if I find it ok, stick with it. If I dont like it, Ill move back to High Quality.

· Registered
446 Posts
I am on medium, except for my backup unit which is set to standard for conflicts. My main 2 units have 250gb drives in them. Also, MQ is what i've heard is the easiest for DVD making, no reencoding required. It takes forever to encode SQ recordings for DVD, haven't tried HQ, it just takes up too much room for me.

· Registered
4,827 Posts
I was a standard guy, when I only had one 5040.

But now that I'm using two 5000's. both upgraded to 120. 85% of my recording are Med.

btw: With the last software update, Standard is not that bad anymore

· Registered
1,540 Posts
For me it's medium for everything except animation which I use standard for. I have been using high on some movies, but it probably isn't necessary. I'm going to have to do a back to back comparison between medium and high to see it the difference is worth it.

· Registered
4,619 Posts
Sports - HQ

Rest - MQ

· Registered
68 Posts
I always have had my unit for about a year and have been really happy with standard quality. I hardly see any difference when I used med. or high quality but then I only have a standard 27'' tube TV.

· Registered
93 Posts
It's odd to me when people say they don't see the difference on a smaller tube. *I* think medium is outstanding on my big Mitsu, but on my old 30" tube, all I see are mpeg artifacts. I'm guessing it has something to do with the filters and what nots on the widescreen. . .

4532 95% medium

4504 99% standard

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Afte Alcatraz I switched over to standard and have been quite happy. Last Superbowl I ramped it up to high quality because I was getting too many artifacts.

I've found signal quality to be critical in the decision process. When I had the signal split 5 million ways in the house I had to set it on high. Once I cleaned up cabling it made a huge difference.

· Registered
2,569 Posts
It's certainly very TV dependent, but it's also quite subjective. Some people are simply less bothered by the MPEG artifacts than others. My mom has a 32" Sony XBR and records everything at standard. Personally, I record everything on high. I'm sure I could get away with medium, but it's not necessary because I have three 200GB networked Replays. I try to avoid standard whenever possible. It just looks much worse to me on my 56" Zenith than medium or high. In fact, the only time I ever watch something in standard is when I Poopli it. :)

· Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustTrio
It's odd to me when people say they don't see the difference on a smaller tube. *I* think medium is outstanding on my big Mitsu, but on my old 30" tube, all I see are mpeg artifacts. I'm guessing it has something to do with the filters and what nots on the widescreen. . .

4532 95% medium

4504 99% standard
MQ on all 3 of my 4xxx looks worse than SQ on my 5504. I really didn't know how crappy the 4xxx units were in terms of picture quality until I got the 5504. Pixelations abound for 4xxx units even at HQ - not very noticeable on the 5504 even at MQ. Can't believe someone even contemplates SQ on a 4xxx series. Of course a lot of has to do with the quality of the source. Crap in = crap out (worse crap out for 4xxx units).

· Registered
423 Posts
OT: I recently upgraded my 5040 with a 160GB drive, and my habits have changed slightly. Incidently, my top-of-the-desk-box is still in storage after a recent move, and I wasn't able to do the upgrade myself. Lizard_boy's pre-formatted drive is in the ReplayTV now; I can highly recommend his service! I don't imagine the physical upgrade took more than 11.21 minutes (+/- 1 Diet Coke).

OKAY, (+/- 1 Budweiser).

1) In the past, as now, this news junkie continues to record the "talking head" shows at standard; since there's no real movement why eat up disk space?

2) My favorite dramas are now recorded at "Medium" rather than "Standard" in case I'd like to archive them;

3) "High" is pretty much out of the question as it requires too much space to archive whatever the atmosphere, and the quality is little better than "Medium.".

4) OKAY, I'm lazy! If I know of a show that I'd like to pass on to someone, I record using "High" and then dump it to VHS. They shouldn't expect me to take the time to edit/burn. If they don't want to view commercials, let them buy a ReplayTV.

5) If its a really (!) outstanding program I'll record it "High," DVA it, edit it burn it etc. and (maybe) send a copy to my brother, but don't hold your breath.

Regards,

Warren

· Registered
5,925 Posts
I have never seen anything except best quality on any of my PVRs. I have more capacity at best then I will ever need. Picture quality at best on my 2 Showstoppers and 1 standalone TiVo looks great with a great source and since hard drives are so inexpensive now, that seems the best way to use these devices to me. Most of my recording is done with a DirecTV DVR with TiVo which only has one setting.

Chris

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I have been using Medium since yesterday, and I havent noticed Any Differance between Medium and High so far. Although I like to watch alot of Star Trek and Star Gate, and Ive heard with alot of special effects some people use a higher quality. Iam only viewing on a 35" Tube Television, or on my computer. Looks good to me so far though. I like having 120 hours better then having 83 hours. Maybe for some shows that I watch and delete I will use standard, but for keepers Iam using medium or High is I really like it.

· Registered
841 Posts
I have Standard set as my default for all recordings on my three ReplayTV units (Showstopper and two 5000). I selectively use Medium on certain shows with lots of fast action and dark scenes (space aliens and cop shows). I never use high.

My wife uses Medium as her default for all recordings on her two 5000 boxes. She has recently started using Standard selectively on talk shows.

Bye. :cool:

· Registered
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustTrio

4532 95% medium

4504 99% standard
Maybe the fact that it's old has something to do with it? Also maybe you sit closer?

I watch mostly standard quality on a brand new 14" flat tube Toshiba and standard looks great. I realize it's only 14" but I sit about 3 feet away from it (it's on my computer desk). I still see artifacts during high action scenes, but they don't bother me enough to upgrade my 5040 to something bigger to fit medium quality recordings.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thier are way more votes for standard then I thought. I thought it would of been between high and medium, but as of this post Standard is winning.

High 17 20.73%

Medium 29 35.37%

Standard 36 43.90%

Total: 82 votes 100%

I might have to try standard out for some shows. Iam wondering if the people voting standard dont have as much storage and that is why they are choosing it?

· Registered
698 Posts
I have two 5080s and a 160G HD on my DVA server, and I only record in Standard. I can't see a lick of difference between live cable and recorded shows on my 27" TV, and although I notice the artifacts if I watch closely on my 57" RPTV, if I notice the artifacts when I'm not thinking about them it's usually because the show is so boring it's lost my full attention and I'm about to stop it and delete it.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stabaho
I might have to try standard out for some shows. Iam wondering if the people voting standard dont have as much storage and that is why they are choosing it?
If I had a 250 gig drive I would leave it on standard for everything except sports (which I only watch at the end of the year) and occasionally if there was a movie I wanted to watch with friends.

Standard (since VBR was added) is still superior to VHS and I am hard pressed to notice artifacts except in fast paced or high contrast situations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.