AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to build my first, nice stereo/surround sound system, with a ceiling budget of $2500. I'd like to get a good sounding system that will hold up for many years . Right now I have my main Sony 46" TV, a PS3 to play blu-ray and games, and an HD cable box/DVR. In terms of what they will be used for, I would like better quality of music over surround sound quality. The dilemma I am having is whether to go with immediate quantity of speakers or quality of the receiver(ie set-up 2 v. 1).

Set-up 1:

Denon 3311CI Receiver

2 Klipsch RF-62 Towers

1 Klipsch RC-52 Center

or

Set-up 2:

Pioneer VSX820k

Vann's bundle of

2 Klipsch RF-62 Towers

1 Klipsch RC-52 Center

2 Klipsch RS-52 Surround speakers

1 Klipsch RW-10d Subwoofer

Then later, I would go back and either buy a better receiver(if I went with the second set up), or the 2 surround speakers and the subwoofer. I really like the 3311 has pre-amps, compatibility with airtunes, the "compressed audio restorer" for mp3s, and the audyssey multeq. Though, starting off is getting a subwoofer and surrounds more important if I'm trying to build a nice system?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quality of speakers is more important to sound quality, but certain features on the receiver are certainly woth paying extra for.

That said, I think you should go audition some speakers, you may find that you prefer something other than Klipsch.

Ron

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs
Quality of speakers is more important to sound quality, but certain features on the receiver are certainly woth paying extra for.

That said, I think you should go audition some speakers, you may find that you prefer something other than Klipsch.
Excellent advice! Typically the receiver will be 1/4 to no more than 1/3 of the budget - sometimes less. I'd also avoid buying Klipsch subwoofers. You'll do a lot better with an internet direct brand like Hsu Research, SVSound, Epik, or Elemental Designs. I'd contact all four with your room dimensions and have them size a solution. None of them will try to oversell you.

I'd also make sure that you love the Klipsch sound before investing that much. Klipsch are very much love'em or don't-love'em speakers. Personally I find them a tad harsh and fatiguing so I suggest giving them a long (30-45 minute) listen at volume before buying.

Unless you're set on Klipsch then some other options that I would consider are:
  1. The OneCall bundle of the discontinued Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and VRC center for less than half the pre-clearance price. Add a pair of CS26 bookshelves as surrounds and a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver leaves you $1000 for a really nice subwoofer. Note: The VR3 towers are big rear ported speakers and as such need 18-24 inches behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall for the port to do it's job.

2. The same as above but substituting b-stock Ascend Acoustics CMT-340SE bookshelves and center for the fronts and HTM-200 for the surrounds.

3. Or b-stock Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 bookshelves and center (in gloss cherry for the special price), b-stock HTM-200 surrounds, the same refurbished Onkyo as above, and a $600 internet direct subwoofer.

If money is tight then put the money into the front three and the subwoofer(s) and buy the surrounds later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone! For some reason, I'm really a fan of the Klipschs, however I've not listened to them for an extended period of time. One more question, how noticeable are direct subwoofers? The tower speakers had some nice lows on them, though I'm sure its nothing near what a stand alone woofer would produce.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdm3b
Thanks for the advice everyone! For some reason, I'm really a fan of the Klipschs, however I've not listened to them for an extended period of time.
Many people enjoy Klipsch. We all have different tastes and speakers are highly subjective. All I can add is that I would get to a store and do an extened listening session and then you'll know for sure if the sound you enjoy becomes fatiguing to your ear.
Quote:
One more question, how noticeable are direct subwoofers? The tower speakers had some nice lows on them, though I'm sure its nothing near what a stand alone woofer would produce.
There isn't a ton of rock music below 40hz but there is some depending on what you listen to. The same with jazz although I'm told that kick drum can extend a bit lower. I have no clue what what techno or house require. I listen to rock, jazz and classical and ran the Boston VR3s without a sub for about a year while I saved up for a really good sub.

Where a really good sub grabs your rock solid attention is movie bass. But the subwoofer needs to be large enough to fill the room and any spaces open to that room, and in my opinion should play down to at least 20hz. A good sub can also ease the load on your receiver by allowing you to let the sub handle everything below 60-80hz. FYI what I meant by internet direct subwoofer is buying directly from the manufacturer. Hsu Research , SVSound , Epik , and Elemental Designs specialize in providing subwoofers that out perform better known brands found in retail stores.

Anyway IMO the most important part of any system are the mains, followed by a timbre matched center, followed by the subwoofer. The surrounds are a distant last place. That's why I usually tell people on a tight budget to start with the very best 2.1 or 3.1 system that they can afford and add the surrounds when money allows.

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling /forum/post/19637158

Unless you're set on Klipsch then some other options that I would consider are:
  1. The OneCall bundle of the discontinued Boston Acoustic VR3 towers and VRC center for less than half the pre-clearance price. Add a pair of CS26 bookshelves as surrounds and a refurbished Onkyo TX-NR708 receiver leaves you $1000 for a really nice subwoofer. Note: The VR3 towers are big rear ported speakers and as such need 18-24 inches behind them and at least 2 feet to the nearest side wall for the port to do it's job.

1. This is what I would look at.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts