AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at putting a 119' diagonal 16:9 screen in my HT...

At what projector price range will I get a picture that equates to just as good as a WS RPTV?

I'm assuming the x1 won't do it ;)

But the last thing I want to do is sacrifice quality for size....

Any recommendations where I can have both at 119' and still keep the price down?

·
Banned
539 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by garyttu
At what projector price range will I get a picture that equates to just as good as a WS RPTV?

I'm assuming the x1 won't do it ;)
In my opinion, the X1 looks better than just about any RPTV, no matter how big the picture. This doesn't just apply to the X1, but to many other projectors also. You aren't setting the bar very high with RPTV, which is prone to convergence problems among others. On the other hand projectors need a dark room to look really good.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have a Panasonic 300U -- And here's what I did...

I originally had a 96" wide 1:75.1 screen (Standard HDTV) and the picture was great.

However, I am a big "no black bars" person when it comes to movies, I understand them -- but for movies encoded in 2:35.1 I just hate those bars -- I always wanted that larger-than-life cinemascope look to the movies at home.

so, I made a 2:35.1 screen and enlarge the picture to fill. It's amazing. It really is.

Is there a difference in picture quality? SLIGHT. But the picture is so large and bright, that the slight image de-sharp doesn't bother me, and I'm a stickler for quailty.

BTW, the diagonal image is now about 125".

P.S. I use TheaterTek to zoom "down" my 1:85 and lower movies, so that when a 2:35 encoded movie comes on, it fills the entire screen left to right.

I sit about 12-15 feet away from the screen...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like sim mike says, if your HT room can handle it -- the X1 should be fine at 119 diagonal. I'm at 106" and the picture looks great.

My pj mount is flexible and if I move it back, I can see that 119 would be no problem in my HT environment and the picture is still very good.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a bigger screen (even larger than 119) if I can find a way to explain to the wife how it magically "grew" overnight. :) or maybe I should just try it and see if she notices.

It took her almost a year to notice I had added a 2nd subwoofer. hehee

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I'll sum it up for you quickly and neatly. After FP there is no going back. RPTVs and plasmas become distant memories. There is a caveat however. FP must be set up correctly and viewed in a light controlled environment, otherwise it will look as awful as they do in sports bars. FP, done right, has no equal. And, yes, the affordable X1, set up correctly can humble any consumer level RPTV or plasma. They really are that good.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I am thinking about the X1 or equivalent on a 119' screen.....perhaps a 16:9 native projector in that price range....

As long as I can get just as good of a picture as a RPTV with that size, then I am happy....

I don't want to make the switch to FP, if going bigger means losing brightness and image quality....

The pic has gotta wow besides being just freagin huge...

I am on a limited budget however and am trying to keep it low cost....

Like I said, total light control...no windows....

Of course, i'd like it to look good with slightly dim lighting....I can't imagine watching football games with friends in 0% light environments...gonna need a little light for those applications...

·
Registered
922 Posts
I'm shooting an X1 at a 98" diagonal 16:9. I'm already thinking of going a little bit larger. (I've even thought about doing the 2.35 constant-height screen mentioned above).

119" should be doable if you're sitting far enough back. I'm at about 10' back form mine...you'd need to go further back at your size, IMHO.

And I've had some ambient light on while viewing. I find it acceptable, especially for bright images like a football game. It is best if the light is not direct. Sconces or "wall-wash" type light. I'm already dilligently trying to figure out how to hook up some HD football and have a party...and my basement is still totally unfinished except for the PJ, screen, sound system, a couple chairs, and a refrigerator full of beer. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.