AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After just a year of our attic home theater in our last house, we moved. We enjoyed it so much though, that one of the requirements for our new house was a space we could turn into a home theater.

We found the new house and moved in a couple of weeks ago. I'm just now starting to brainstorm ideas of how to approach this theater and I'm certain that you'll give me lots of ideas and inspiration. Hopefully I can provide some info back to the community in this thread.

OK... what am I doing?

The Quarterdeck Club will be a fully themed room in the basement of our historical 1906 house. The plan is for the room to have a great home theater and a world class cocktail bar. I'm just crossing my fingers that I have enough room to do everything.

This first post will continue to expand as I keep developing things.

Theater Usage
  • 90% movies/TV shows
  • 10% video games
  • Content: We watch movies from all decades (late 1800s-present), very few action movies. Mostly stuff with good stories.
  • Strong preference for streaming media.
  • Don't care about 3D.
  • Family of 4 with two rowdy boys. Friends will be over sometimes.
  • Room will contain a world-class cocktail bar.
Challenges
  • Historical house. We need to respect the house so nothing modern or out of place with the theme.
  • Well-built preexisting bar with plumbing and electrical. Will need to figure out how to work around this. Can modify if necessary.
  • 7' 1.5" finished ceiling height.
  • Room is currently finished.
  • Have to work with the existing room layout.
  • Wall behind the bar is a 6.5" concrete structural wall.
Opportunities
  • Zero equipment. I sold all of my theater equipment with our old house.
  • Bigger room. Total room size is about 18'x27'. Theater area is about 13'x19'
  • OK with spending money if it provides significant value.
  • No duct work.
  • Joists run parallel to the short side of the room so I should be able to run speaker wire and video cable without too much trouble.
Current Tasks
  • Assemble and finish DIYSG speaker cabinets and electronics
  • Finalize screen size and design
  • Design and build front stage wall
  • Design and build hush box for projector
Completed Tasks
  • Build riser
  • Design riser
  • Flesh out Quarterdeck Club backstory. This will help with theme direction.
  • Order cables.
  • Develop digital basement model. DONE: post 19
  • Take photos for reference. DONE: post 14
  • Meet with electrician about replacing old FPE panel in the house. Trying to decide about sticking with 200amp or going to 320amp service. DONE: post 54
  • Meet with carpenter about construction options.
  • Decided on two rows of three seats. A loveseat/chair combo for each row.
  • Figure out screen and seating positions.
  • Look at seating options and cost.
  • Figure out riser size and location.
  • Decide on projector and bought. Epson 5040UB
  • Decided on front sound stage wall treatment. 1" Linacoustic, 3.5mil plastic sheeting, 1" Linacoustic
  • Buy speakers from DIYSG
  • Cut drywall holes for Atmos speakers and one surround speaker
  • Paint room
  • Finish bar portion of the theater
Current Question
Looking for some cheap polyfil and I hate Walmart so I need to find some pillows elsewhere.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Project Costs (to date)
Projector $1275
Theater Seats (two rows of three seats) $1500
Front wall acoustic treatment $275
Cables $200
Speakers $3,500
Lumber $200
Port Hole Contraption $800
Bar Stools $500
Tikis $1,000
AVR $400
Speaker parts $150
Painting $1,300
Drywall work $500

Equipment
Epson 5040UB
Denon AVR-X4300H
Octane Bolt x6
Monoprice 12ga speaker wire
DIYSG HTM-12 x3
DIYSG HT-8 x2
DIYSG Volt-8 x4
DIYSG Stonehenge x2

·
Registered
34 Posts
That's a nice sized room, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll handle the 7' ceiling, and what ideas you have for a theme.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,958 Posts
I already like the Name. Stood many Quarterdeck Watches in my time. Of course you will need a brass bell, 1MC, Brass Builders placard. All guest will be required to Salute the Flag and request permission to Come Aboard. Can’t wait to hear the backstory.

Best of luck Sir!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, SketchUp has been THE design tool I've used to remodel my entire house over the last ten years. It's great for small and large projects, especially home theaters.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's a nice sized room, but I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll handle the 7' ceiling, and what ideas you have for a theme.
No ideas on the 7' yet. We'll see if Atmos happens and how much soundproofing I can do. I'm also thinking about one of those UST laser projectors to avoid the projector hanging from the ceiling.

Yeah, SketchUp has been THE design tool I've used to remodel my entire house over the last ten years. It's great for small and large projects, especially home theaters.
Sounds like I need to teach myself sketchup.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I already like the Name. Stood many Quarterdeck Watches in my time. Of course you will need a brass bell, 1MC, Brass Builders placard. All guest will be required to Salute the Flag and request permission to Come Aboard. Can’t wait to hear the backstory.

Best of luck Sir!
You can be my navel advisor as I have no military experience.

As far as backstory, right now I've got an idea swirling that is Swiss Family Robinson/Gilligan's Island/20,000 Leagues/history based. It should be enough to justify the existence of a tiki/nautical home bar/home theater.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The free online version or the paid version?
I am using Sketchup Make 2017 which was the last free version they offered that could be installed locally on your computer. 2018 they moved to the online version being the only free product. You might be able to find an installer for sketchup make 2017 out there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am using Sketchup Make 2017 which was the last free version they offered that could be installed locally on your computer. 2018 they moved to the online version being the only free product. You might be able to find an installer for sketchup make 2017 out there.
The direct download link to SketchUp Make 2017 installer.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm making progress with SketchUp. It will just take me a bit to get familiar with it.

Met with an electrician yesterday about replacing our service panel. I think we may bump our service up to 320amp just so we have plenty of room. With that, I should be able to run as many circuits as I need.

I discussed the backstory with my wife for a bit and she's onboard. Just need to put pen to paper now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you post some photos of the space that your working with?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Excuse the moving in mess. We're still in the thick of things. This at least gives a visual of the room. I'm still working on the SketchUp design.

Where we currently have our TV and where the home owner who built the basement, planned to have a TV.

This bar has built in electrical, plumbing and a speaker drop.

Door to our laundry room.

Fireplace and built-in benches.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got a carpenter coming over on Thursday night to take a look at our room. (I'll pour him a flight of Pappy Van Winkle to extract his thoughts.) Anything I should ask him about?

One thing I've been thinking of is the possibility of doing a riser for a second row. Could I do a riser that provides value with a just over 7' ceiling?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,253 Posts
One strategy often used in low head room situations is to divide the required total riser lift in two parts. Part one is a riser that you walk and stand on, part two is a booster riser just under the chair bases.

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,253 Posts
Is there a standard riser height? What are some common heights?
12 3/4 inches is pretty common 2x12s (11 1/4) and two layers of 3/4 decking. But screen size, position on the wall, and seating row distances are all part of the geometry equation that has to be solved to plan a theater properly. What is worse is the online calculators have gone silent.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts