AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Doing some paint testing now. These samples are the Benjamin Moore Century paint. $11 for a four ounce sample. The red is too much with the wood and red carpet. The black would perform well, but I'm not sure it will fit with our theme. Dark blue is leading right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just my thoughts and I may have missed something but why not move the bar to be behind the seats and get 8 seats in there? You could put the bar in the back so it is next to the fireplace. Or even have it at an angle in the back to match the angled fireplace. It seems like the bar is taking a lot of space. Also, get the 320 service! And some more bids :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Just my thoughts and I may have missed something but why not move the bar to be behind the seats and get 8 seats in there? You could put the bar in the back so it is next to the fireplace. Or even have it at an angle in the back to match the angled fireplace. It seems like the bar is taking a lot of space. Also, get the 320 service! And some more bids :)
It would cost so much money to move the bar that it just isn't feasible. Too many other things would have to change. The bar does take up a lot of space, but it is a great bar for my cocktail making, which takes up a lot of space.

Just got another bid on the 320 service and it was even higher than the first bid.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update time:

• The projector has been purchased (Epson 5040UB)
  • Layout has pretty much been finalized.
  • Trying to decide on brown vs black chairs. Likely to go with HT Market Belmont.
  • Still need to get the electrical service replaced.
  • Working on picking a paint color. Probably going to go with a dark blue.

Big question now, is to start thinking about audio. Is Atmos worth it in a 7' room like mine? With two rows of seating, should I be looking at 5 or 7 bed channels? I think I'd like to go with DIYSG speakers and DIY subs. Which models should I go with? How should I design my front sound stage? What's the minimum amount of space I can get away with between the wall and screen for speakers and subs to be back there?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It would cost so much money to move the bar that it just isn't feasible. Too many other things would have to change. The bar does take up a lot of space, but it is a great bar for my cocktail making, which takes up a lot of space.

Just got another bid on the 320 service and it was even higher than the first bid.

Oh, sorry, thought I saw a post where you said it felt right to have the bar moved to right at the bottom of the stairs so I thought moving it would be a possibility...yikes on the 320 prices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Oh, sorry, thought I saw a post where you said it felt right to have the bar moved to right at the bottom of the stairs so I thought moving it would be a possibility...yikes on the 320 prices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If I was building from scratch, I'd do that position, but it is just too much at this point to move.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Made a bit step forward for the theater with the purchase of some used Octane Bolt theater chairs. Saved over $3k after I found some locally for sale. Now it is on to the riser.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
One strategy often used in low head room situations is to divide the required total riser lift in two parts. Part one is a riser that you walk and stand on, part two is a booster riser just under the chair bases.
This is a good idea that I may try eventually. I'm going to build a 7.25" riser and if I need more height, I'll just do another inch or so under the chairs.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Not a ton of updates to post about. I've mainly been working on some decor related to the bar part of the room.

I will have 320A service installed in two weeks that should give me all the power I'll ever need.

I've done a little wiring, but not a lot.

I'm at one of those points in the project where it feels like it will never be finished and it will never match what I have in my head.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Slow and steady! You'll get there and it will be worth it :)

...coming from someone who just hit month 22 of what I thought would be a 6 mo basement build. On a high note for me my theater has been done and being enjoyed for a few months now

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Slow and steady! You'll get there and it will be worth it :)

...coming from someone who just hit month 22 of what I thought would be a 6 mo basement build. On a high note for me my theater has been done and being enjoyed for a few months now
22 months. Hopefully I don't make it to that point. Thanks for the encouraging words. I'll get there eventually.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What models of speakers did you end up going with? Also, what subs are you going to be running? Sorry if I may have missed it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
This is a critical piece to the nautical/tiki theme of the Quarterdeck Club. It is the components that make the illusion of our port hole work. It is built with aquarium air pumps, smart plugs, smart lights and a TV.

When I had an underwater video of sharks and fish on the TV, my five year old thought there were fish outside of our basement.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts