Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Queen fan should love this imho the first three songs sound

great I have not tried the DTS track just the DVD audio 5.1

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Good grief, why The Game??? It's not an awful album, but why couldn't they have picked... well, any of the ones that came before it instead!! :confused: Night At The Opera was a logical first release but they could have followed it with News of the World or even Jazz (I know better than to expect the first three albums right off the bat.)

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
A Night at the Opera could be quite amazing if done well. Personaly, though people whine about agressive us of the format, I think that is one that could make very good use of 5 channels and sound very natural.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
A Night at the Opera could be quite amazing if done well. Personaly, though people whine about agressive us of the format, I think that is one that could make very good use of 5 channels and sound very natural.
I've not had a chance to get it yet but heard many good things. I'm pretty impressed with the mixes on Greatest Video Hits Vol. 1...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
DTS Entertainment's DVD-A release of ANATO is excellent and highly recommended. Here's my review from last year, FYI...

http://www.amateurhometheater.com/El...he%20Opera.htm

BTW - I was *stunned* with how much I liked The Game in DVD-A. Brian May has indicated they are going back to do the entire Queen catalog in hi-res 5.1, so I'm looking forward to more good stuff!

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Felix do you have a review of The Game posted?

thanks-

ts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mercury
Felix do you have a review of The Game posted?

thanks-

ts
Looks like I'll tackle The Game for DVD, ETC. magazine, but we're a couple months away from the July/August issue (which is what we're working on).

In the meantime, Dennis over at DVDAngle did a great job reviewing it. Check it out...

http://www.dvdangle.com/reviews/review.php?Id=3072

Cheers!

·
Registered
648 Posts
I own A Night At The Opera and now The Game. I won't comment on the band, or the individual tracks as everyone will form their own opinion.

The multi-channel mixes ARE aggressive. Too much so for my taste in some respects. I'm sitting on my couch looking to relax and voices come hard at me from the rears. That triggers my fight or flight reflex and I don't find that relaxing. My poor dog thinks she is being stalked and will eventually leave the room.

Having said all that, I do like Save Me on The Game. Also, is it just me or what is going on with all of the A/D D/A conversion the jacket cover talks about?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Quote:
The multi-channel mixes ARE aggressive. Too much so for my taste in some respects. I'm sitting on my couch looking to relax and voices come hard at me from the rears. That triggers my fight or flight reflex and I don't find that relaxing.
Queen is definitely not music to relax to. Their tunes - a few exceptions aside - are confrontational & aggressive, and the mixes follow suit. For the material, I felt it was totally appropriate.

My two minor squibbles re The Game: mastered at a freakin' loud volume - I mean loud! Louder than ANATO even. And a bit too much sibilance in the high end for my taste (ANATO exhibits this as well, and perhaps it's just an aesthetic choice to have that sizzling high end).

Quote:
...is it just me or what is going on with all of the A/D D/A conversion the jacket cover talks about?
I have a feeling that Brian May and Justin Shirley-Smith prefered to do the sample rate conversion from the original ProTools tape transfers at 192khz by doing an extra D-A/A-D step printing the mixes to 2 inch tape and then mastering at 96khz from the tape to do the final DVD-A (instead of downsampling from 192khz to 96khz digitally).

Of course, there's also that "analog" sound ;)

I don't know - the end product sounds great, but I'm curious to hear for myself what was gained (or lost) by having that intermediate analog step...

My $.02,

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
:bump:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I agree that this disc is really damn loud, but it sure does sound good.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I always liked The Game, Queen was one of those bands that grew up with me, and some of freddies best vocal stuff is on it, along with very tightly produced instrumentation.

I really cant wait to hear, "The Message Of Love", once i finally buy a DVD-A player haha

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA
I always liked The Game, Queen was one of those bands that grew up with me, and some of freddies best vocal stuff is on it, along with very tightly produced instrumentation.

I really cant wait to hear, "The Message Of Love", once i finally buy a DVD-A player haha
you can listen NOW in dts 5.1:)

did you get A night at the Opera,?the dts 5.1 tracks are fantastic...

ts

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Oh cool, I can buy "The Game" DVD-A, and listen to it in DTS? Sweet, does it sound nearly as good as DVD-A??

have the DVD "We Will Rock You", which is an early 80s Queen concert with EXCELLENT production values, for that time. It was shot with special 35MM cameras to be shown on huge movie screens (like IMAX).

Even with the excellent production, it doesnt quite compare to a modern concert DVD, except it is Freddie, and he sounds great, and theres half empty beer bottles strewn all over the stage, and it is Queen in its prime..

But whats facinating, is listening to the audio-commentary of the director, and all the hoops they had to go through to make a concert movie back then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.