AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My condo includes an option package bought by a previous owner, which provided for one room with two speakers, a volume control, and a source location with RCA plugs. The room is indeed pre-wired (no RCA plugs, no volume control), but I can't figure out how the wiring is working (or meant to work). The attached diagram shows the layout better than I can explain it.

Essentially, I expected to hook up my stereo at location ST, bypass the volume control by splicing the wires together, and presto: sound. It hasn't worked that way.

I can get one speaker to work via: audio source at ST, splice ST and VC wires at hall junction, splice one unlabeled and one speaker cable at VC. Where the other ST cable goes, and where the other unlabeled cable at VC comes from, I can't figure out. Nor can I figure out why only one cable (one speaker?) goes to the junction box.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious (for example, maybe the audio sources is meant to be in the hall closet).

Any insight or suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
My condo includes an option package bought by a previous owner, which provided for one room with two speakers, a volume control, and a source location with RCA plugs. The room is indeed pre-wired (no RCA plugs, no volume control), but I can't figure out how the wiring is working (or meant to work). The attached diagram shows the layout better than I can explain it.

Essentially, I expected to hook up my stereo at location ST, bypass the volume control by splicing the wires together, and presto: sound. It hasn't worked that way.

I can get one speaker to work via: audio source at ST, splice ST and VC wires at hall junction, splice one unlabeled and one speaker cable at VC. Where the other ST cable goes, and where the other unlabeled cable at VC comes from, I can't figure out. Nor can I figure out why only one cable (one speaker?) goes to the junction box.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious (for example, maybe the audio sources is meant to be in the hall closet).

Any insight or suggestions appreciated.
I would try to contact the builder to see how it was intended to be set up? Or, perhaps a neighbor has the same setup and ask how he made it work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.