AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can your MyReplayTV username contain special characters ?

In the Help it states that the password may have special characters, punctuation and/or numbers. But what about the username ?

I did a AVSForum search, but no-one seems to have tried this.

I created a username with special characters, and it gives me an "invalid username/password" message instead of the "your account has not been activated" message. I was just wondering if the special characters had anything to do with the error message. I suppose I could just create another account with a simpler username.

Tony

·
Registered
582 Posts
I can't tell you about the special characters, but it took 5 days for my account to get set up after I did the registration ... I really don't see a benefit from the MyReplay web site. You can do everything on your ReplayTV faster.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whirly
I really don't see a benefit from the MyReplay web site. You can do everything on your ReplayTV faster.
I was able to go on vacation right through premiere week and still managed record all my shows accounting for various time slot changes and avoiding various conflicts, without resorting to manual recording entries.

When it's running, MRTV can be quite useful for people who travel and need to make changes. Unfortunately due to various outages, its reliability is hard to depend on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally found an answer to this question. NO, you cannot have special characters in the username.

As I mentioned before, I created a username with a punctuation character in the username. When I tried to log on, I got the following error message:

"Invalid login/password. Please try again."

Since MyReplayTV allows you to create multiple accounts for the same key number, (see the thread on refurb units, and how a previous owner can control your shows), I created a 2nd account with the same key number. When I tried to log on, I got this message instead:

"Sorry, , we have not completed your activation yet. Please come back tomorrow to begin using MyReplayTV."

No doubt I'll get in okay after the next dial in.

The Help on the New Users page states:

"When you login to MyReplayTV, you will be asked for your username and password. Both need to be 6-15 characters in length. You can choose a password that contains punctuation, case sensitive letters, and numbers."

It doesn't state what the username should comprise of, but at least we now know punctuation is not allowed.

Tony

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually use MyReplayTV fairly often. When I'm on these sites and hear about a show that I want to watch I just program my Replay from work so I don't forget when I get home.

-Mike

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found a very good use for MRTV last night. My unhacked HS2000 locked up some time yesterday afternoon, and when I soft-booted (hold PWR button 'till display flashes), it "un-locked", but as soon as it was back up, I found all 20 some-odd hours worth of stored programs and pre-program options were gone. *poof* No "oops", no "sorry", just gone.

So, now that I have 30 free hours to use, I find I need to restore my programs/channels, etc. My ReplayTV has all of the programs I had recorded listed (so I can try and recover them with the script that's floating around), and it has a list of all the program channels I had stored. Using this list, it will be considerably easier to rebuild what has been snuffed. This probably isn't one of the "features" ReplayTV wants to advertise ("when your machine craps out, you can use this to help rebuild"), but I'm finding it useful.

*sigh*

just my $0.02

David.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.