AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering where the unit's key number is stored ?

Is it derived from the serial number, which itself is probably stored in the EPROM ?

If it's not derived, then is it a separate unique number stored in either the EPROM or the hard drive ?

Or was it generated by the Replay/ISP server when your unit downloaded version 3.0 ?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
I believe I found it in a file once. But I'm not sure on that. At one point I was searching for information like that in the replay files. I'm out of town, but I could try that again next week.

If nothing else the serial number is in a file, not sure if that came from the board or if it was put on the drive during manufacturing. It might be interesting to try a test. =)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I made a search count of my unit serial's number on the backup image file from the hd and the count returned 2427 occurrences of the search string!!

but i also think that the serial number should be stored on the EPROM, maybe some of the persons that had changed their images with some others can comment about it, so which serial number do you get now that you have stored the image from another unit??

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I believe that this question has been addressed in the past. If memory serves, the serial number stays with the hardware, drive images from other systems do not change it.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
I'm not 100% sure and can't check right now but I think my key #s were always the serial number with a few characters appended to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.