AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What measurement shows how well a monitor will show different shades of black, such as in the below chart?

Is it contrast ratio, or black depth?

I have a VW226H with a "dynamic" contrast ratio of 20,000:1. I Really don't want to get something that has an even harder time than this showing dark scenes.

I'm considering getting the U2311H...

·
23,032 Posts
Contrast ratio means nothing and absolute black light output really isn't an accurate measurement to indicate how well a panel can show black level transitions/gradients.

The chart you show is RGB levels, which can show how the TV shows RGB black levels given your particular calibration. However, unless your TV is solely for PC monitor, you may want to get patterns for studio levels. Get the Spears and Munsil Blu-ray calibration disc (see BD disc forum sticky thread).

Probably the best single pattern to see how well a display can show black level (and white level) is the "gray ramp" pattern that go from black to white (and excursions on either end). If the transitions are smooth, that's good. If you see banding then it's either a calibration or panel issue.

larry

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you happen to know if the U2311H (Dell 23" E-IPS) will do much better than my Asus TN, in that aspect? I have an SPVA TV that does blacks pretty well. It doesn't have to be that good, I suppose - but I can't stand my TN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts