AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying our first HDTV set around Thanksgiving (BF deals) and from what I've been reading, Vizio's price advantage has been closing considerably by the bigger brands (Samsung, Sony, etc).

My budget is around US$1300 and the screen size is 47" (42" is a bit too small as our current CRT is 36"); viewing distance is just around 10' and 1080p is preferred as I'll be hooking up a PC.

Vizio has a pretty nicely reviwed 47", the VO47LF , available at both Costco and BJ's. The MSRP is $1400, but I've been told it retails for less than $1300. There's also a Walmart-only model, the VW47L , which strangely has a higher MSRP of $1500 and one less HDMI port (3 instead of 4), but I'm not sure how much it retails at WM.

Do either of the big brands have a similarly spec'd set for the same price? Feel free to post your recommendations -I'm not tied to any particular brand, but prefer either LCD or Plasma.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
my advice is avoid vizio, sceptre, westinghouse, etc and stick with Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, etc. hopefully around the holidays/thanksgiving etc. you should be able to pick up a 46" for right around your budget...for example in a local ad the 46" Toshiba 530 is going for 1399.00 (obviously cheaper if you purchase online, which is personal preference)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only recommendation so far is the Toshiba 47hl167, which from what I've read has some issues with viewing angle and three HDMI ports instead of four -though that could be seen as nitpicking.

Is it still possible to see the 47hl167 at a store? I've seen both Vizios I've mentioned in the OP and while the viewing conditions weren't ideal (big box retailer), the feature-set and viewing angle were spot on.

Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL /forum/post/14294662

The only recommendation so far is the Toshiba 47hl167, which from what I've read has some issues with viewing angle and three HDMI ports instead of four -though that could be seen as nitpicking.

Is it still possible to see the 47hl167 at a store? I've seen both Vizios I've mentioned in the OP and while the viewing conditions weren't ideal (big box retailer), the feature-set and viewing angle were spot on.

Any other recommendations?

I think you can still find them at some B/M's...but they are increasingly rare. Try checking the Circuit City and Best Buy online warehouse/discontinued sections on their websites.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Nothing wrong with Vizio, has a solid in home warranty service and out of warranty plus great Picture quality. You'll be happy with Vizio.

·
Registered
332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL /forum/post/14273554

I'll be buying our first HDTV set around Thanksgiving (BF deals) and from what I've been reading, Vizio's price advantage has been closing considerably by the bigger brands (Samsung, Sony, etc).

My budget is around US$1300 and the screen size is 47" (42" is a bit too small as our current CRT is 36"); viewing distance is just around 10' and 1080p is preferred as I'll be hooking up a PC.

Vizio has a pretty nicely reviwed 47", the VO47LF , available at both Costco and BJ's. The MSRP is $1400, but I've been told it retails for less than $1300. There's also a Walmart-only model, the VW47L , which strangely has a higher MSRP of $1500 and one less HDMI port (3 instead of 4), but I'm not sure how much it retails at WM.

Do either of the big brands have a similarly spec'd set for the same price? Feel free to post your recommendations -I'm not tied to any particular brand, but prefer either LCD or Plasma.

Many thanks!

try to look at some of the 07 sets, im sure there are still some sony s/v/w 46 inch tv's around from last year, and they could be had for bargain prices, also consider the samsung 61/65 46 inch sets......these sets should provide you a better picture then any vizio......

·
Registered
1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carioca_FL /forum/post/14273554

Many thanks!

The 46A650 Samsung is getting pretty darn close to the $1300 your talking about (online). Also, the 46A530 is a good compromise and only about $100 or so over your budget. The newer Toshiba's are pretty nice as well. Other than that you may want to consider a 720P Panny plasma...the newer 1080P sets (from what I have read) are having accurate color reproduction concerns.

Also, the "Z" series from Sony have been getting some decent reviews....but have the "sparkle" issue. Keep in mind your viewing habits: Sports, movies, SD, HD? Most sets can handle BR static images well, but not SD, cable HD with action, BR with action, etc. It's more than just looking for a certain brand, you have to look at "model specific".

Good luck and keep in mind what you watch the most, that will make a difference what you buy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback all around. I'm getting a bit antsy with this decision, as although I've been researching on and off for almost 2 years now, at the final stretch I really need to nail down my decision.

I am _really_ leaning towards Vizio (their support is spot on and in-home service is pretty hassle-free) and I don't really see a whole lot of difference in PQ between similarly spec'd sets.

However, since my reading has been somewhat Vizio-focused, I appreciate the model recommendations from other manufactures. For the Sony Z-series, can you give me at least one example?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
One last suggestion...you could try for a 46" Sharp D64U or the Toshiba 46RF350U (super narrow bezel). Just thought of those.

(I think Costco still has the RF350U's in stock. Great return policy too.)

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
CNet gives this TV a 6.2 Rating and you consider that well reviewed?

Samsung 550/650 will easily best this thing and gets an 8.0 rating.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts