AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I believe awhile back Guy Kuo offered his opinion on the matter of warm-up.

He actually doesn't have a warm-up time on his PJ - he prefers being able to watch stuff immediately, instead of waiting.

I myself set the warmup to 2 minutes. IMHO, the convergence gets a little bit off at the start, but usually it's OK by 30 minute mark. Also, people say that you should calibrate your PJ after it is on by at least an hour, so I would guess that if I calibrate my PJ perfectly, no matter how much time I set for a warm-up, it's going to look best after 1 hour, no?

Again, just IMHO.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much "off" is the convergence? that is what I mean, is it substantial, like "my god, this is aweful", or is it minor, to the point that you would really have to be picky to tell.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would say it really depends on what you mean with: average user.

My wife for example, didn't think the pic was anoyingly bad rigt from the first minute with our analog BD600, I on the other hand could spend half an hour convegering it after the movie was over. (Meaning it was bad to begin with!)

I acually think it has to do with the fact that when you set the pj up yourself you are being quite critical to how it looks, you allso train your eye to look for convegerence errors.

So warmup time to me is:

For anyone who has set up a CRT: at least 30 min.

And for "normal people": 5 min.

·
Registered
25,258 Posts
I've heard all sorts of things from folks who have never seen a decent FP set up." What's wrong it looks blurry" to "it looks great". The key is after you watch it I think YOU will have a difficult time accepting what you know is your PJ not at it's best. I give mine a full 30 minutes ( 15 with video and the rest without) before viewing since I know errors would distract me.

Art

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It also depends on the projector.

My XG is hard to watch when you first turn it on. I can not easily read the text on my desktop. I have to wait at least 20 min. for things to warm-up.

After the warm-up time, things look great.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
It all depends on the job done setting up the pj...I can watch mine about 5 minutes after I fire it up, and it takes about 15 minutes to come into excellent convergence. (most think it's well converged at startup, but I can see it's a little off.

If your pj is not setup well, what you may notice is a slight (or heavy) red "shadow" on one side of faces (red is off)...or in high contrast areas, whites may have a yellow edge to them (Blue is off in this case)

It's not a matter of expanding metals, it's more the fact that the electronics are heat sensitive, and this causes variations in different adjustment voltages. The closer to null your adjustments are, the less voltage variations needed, so the convergence is better right from the start.

For a couple months I had a Marquee 8500 up on my ceiling, electronically it's a very simple projector, and if the mechanical setup is done right...and you can keep the massive rear heatsink at room temp (easy to do) then this pj is rock stable from the second it is fired up, until you shut it down, no matter when that is. I have never had anything like it...but it was air coupled and not color corrected, so it had to go.:(

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
99% of people who want a larger TV go to one of the many electronic big-box stores and buy whatever 40-50" RPTV looks ok and is reasonably cheap. They take it home and plugs it in and are delighted at how big the picture is.

They never warm it up or do any sort of convergence on it, nor do they even know what convergence means.

They're simply happy with his large TV.

Go to any large retail electronics store and look at how POORLY set up the RPTV's are there. Horrible convergence, crappy colours, etc. But people are still buying them and are still happy.

So the long-winded answer is: For the everage person no special warm up is required.

Kal

·
Registered
458 Posts
My view on the subject is this:

I only converge after the projector is fully warmed up... So, as the projector warms up the picture goes from 95% to as close to 100% as I can get it while I'm watching a movie...

If I'm in a mood and want to tweek a bit, I usually put a movie in to warm the projector up. I guess I think of it backwards compared to most.

That said, my current ECP (my third one) has the least drift of them all, and is the most watchable from the get go. Perhaps this has facilitated my current view...

I found that a full setup including flare and stig along with other common adjustments provides the least drift. I read up on this and was well served by posts from Tim and Mike, amoung others. If done properly and with patience, these ECPs can be quite stable.

Also, I use a computer generated screen to set my convergence... I can see errors on that screen that are invisable with the menu image. This allows me to converge better, and get closer to perfect. The end result is that even with drift on first turn-on, the stock pattern looks near perfect... So I don't worry about it.

Sean

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi,

I have a Marquee 8500 at present. Immediately on power up everything is as sharp as a tack at 720p. There is zero drift and no focus issues. I have worked on countless machines and the only other projectors I could claim this with were the Sony "G" series. I have to say that the Marquee platform is damn well thought out and works flawlessly for me.

Mike

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Mendicino
Thanks for the responses.

Kal, my grammar might have been poor early, as I was refering to warmup on FP CRT's, not RPTV's...
Nope! You were correct - I was just pointing out that the average user who buys an RPTV *never* warms the thing up and RPTV's and FPTV's are more or less the same technology, so the same people probably would never notice the need to warm up FPTV's....

Kal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.