AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Costco is selling these for about the same price (see their web site.) Please tell us what you know about them.

Some info from the descriptions:

Vizio: 1000 Bright, 10,000 contrast, HDMI with HDCP, DCDi and NO tuner.

Optima: 400 bright, 3,000 contrast, DVI with HDCP, - , and with a tuner.

Maxent: 700 bright, 700 contrast, DVI (HDCP??), - , and with a tuner.

I do not think I need a tuner which makes that a wasted component (just DVD & cable/sat.)

Anyone seen and compared these or think that certain brands are good or bad?

·
Registered
447 Posts
wtr_wkr,

With Cable and, my personal favorite, HD Sat, there is no need for a Tuner. I have an DTV HD TiVo and I cut the cable company completely out of my house. Since DTV has my local channels, I do not need over air Tuner, so a monitor is perfect for me.

If you are planning a similar patch, I would forget the Tuner and just make sure that the Plasma you buy has the connections that will let you run all the components you have. (i.e. VGA, Component, DVI, HDMI, etc.)

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was in the same boat. After further research, I decided and just bought the Vizio 50 inch from Costco.

I had cable all my life, but will call directv for the HD package tomorrow. $199 for their HD tuner, I will also order the Oppo dvd player as well. Life will be good :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
tenwood,

I know it is more money, but I cannot recommend DTV HD TiVo highly enough. It perfectly compliments the Sat Technology. Since the DTV Signal is digital, the Sat TiVo does not need to convert the signal so you get a 100% Perfect Signal on playback just as if it had been viewed live from Sat.

Take Care,

Richard

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.