AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a Sony Blu-ray player delivering 1080p/24fps input to my Sony 1080p/24fps capable LCD display (240 Hz) . On the TV, what should be the correct settings for "Cinemotion" (Off, Auto 1, Auto 2) and "Motionflow" (Off, Standard, High) so as to get the best benefit of 24fps? Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the input is 24p/24Hz, then the Cinemotion setting does not matter, it doesn't do anything in this case. It is only relevant when the input possibly could contain 3:2 pulldown (interlaced 480i / 1080i, or 60fps progressive).

Motionflow is simply a matter of taste. Some like the original film-judder and hate the artificial smoothness of Motionflow, some hate the original film-judder and like the smoothness of Motionflow.

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
On my sony Auto1 does telecining and uses adeptive prediction to make motion smoother (motion smoothing!), Auto 2 does telecining without the adeptive motion correction. On my european xbr8 one can see the difference when watching blu-ray movies.

Blu-ray has 24 frames per second. When you turn on MotionFlow there will be more frames, those are fake though, purpose is motion smoothing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I missed the time when there was Auto1/Auto2 setting. My first Sony TV was the W905, and for Film Mode it has only Off/Auto.

On my sony Auto1 does telecining and uses adeptive prediction to make motion smoother (motion smoothing!), Auto 2 does telecining without the adeptive motion correction. On my european xbr8 one can see the difference when watching blu-ray movies.
Dare to explain what that "adaptive prediction" actually should be doing, or what this "motion smoothing" should do in detail? For me this sounds like a "decision helper", not like something that is actively doing something.

From my W9 I know that when feeding native 24p content, the panel is driven in 96Hz mode and frames are shown with 4:4 pulldown. I can't see how any additional "motion smoothing" should fit into that? (Apart from MotionFlow interpolation, of course.)
Hmm. Could it be the older models did not have a 96Hz panel mode but only 120? Also, did these models have a MotionFlow mode "True Cinema"? Yes/No? If not, perhaps the old "Auto1" setting has been migrated into this one?

·
Registered
8,394 Posts
I missed the time when there was Auto1/Auto2 setting. My first Sony TV was the W905, and for Film Mode it has only Off/Auto.

Dare to explain what that "adaptive prediction" actually should be doing, or what this "motion smoothing" should do in detail? For me this sounds like a "decision helper", not like something that is actively doing something.

From my W9 I know that when feeding native 24p content, the panel is driven in 96Hz mode and frames are shown with 4:4 pulldown. I can't see how any additional "motion smoothing" should fit into that? (Apart from MotionFlow interpolation, of course.)
Hmm. Could it be the older models did not have a 96Hz panel mode but only 120? Also, did these models have a MotionFlow mode "True Cinema"? Yes/No? If not, perhaps the old "Auto1" setting has been migrated into this one?

Auto1 ''adaptive prediction'' does make motion smoother because there is some motion interpolation (fake frame insertion) going on while telecining/ and taking aditional steps to make the imago as close to the original film as possible, Auto2 does the same without ''adaptive prediction''. When you switch between Auto1 and Auto2 on the 2008 top of the line sony 100Hz XBR8 (I own the european 2008 XBR8 which is the X4500) while watching a blu-ray you can see a bit of unnatural motion added in Auto1 setting. If i remember correctly the 2009 top of the line sony HX900 Auto1 and Auto 2 does nothing..btw vast majority of XBR8 reviewers used the Cinemotion Auto1 in their settings.

The XBR8 has MotionFlow + MotionFlow Clear (MotionInterpolation/BlackFrameInsertion combo) motion smoothing options, so do many sony models that hit the markte after the xbr8. The only new sony smoother is MotionFlow Impulse.
http://www.blurbusters.com/sony-motionflow-impulse-mode-reduces-motion-blur-without-interpolation/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the input. As I should have said originally, I'm using a Sony BDP-S790 blu-ray player to a Sony KDL-52Z5100 LCD (240Hz). The LCD still delivers a fantastic 1080/24p picture. I've been using the Cinemotion "Auto 1" setting and Motionflow "Standard" for 1080i cable HD, and was wondering whether I needed to always change these when watching a blu-ray. I guess I can just leave these alone. Motionflow at "High" creates a soap opera effect that I don't want, but "Standard" seems fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts