AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very interested in buying this set but i have a few questions. Is this television HD ready or is it just a monitor. Also, does Circuit City and Best Buy carry this set? I went to their websites and it's not shown on there. I looked on the Sony website but i didnt notice where it specifically stated whether it was HD ready or just a monitor. Thanks for information you guys can give.

James

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sooner22
I'm very interested in buying this set but i have a few questions. Is this television HD ready or is it just a monitor. Also, does Circuit City and Best Buy carry this set? I went to their websites and it's not shown on there. I looked on the Sony website but i didnt notice where it specifically stated whether it was HD ready or just a monitor.
HD Ready and Monitor mean the same thing, generally. It has an NTSC receiver but not an HD receiver.

If you plan to use cable or satellite, vs. OTA, that is the best option for you.

In most parts of the country, Circuit City does carry it. I've not found it at local (LA) Best Buy stores.

List has been $2499 but you may be able to negotiate a better price.

I have one, and it is worth the list price!

Phil

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Hi Fi Buys (Tweeter) carries this TV. List price is $2499.00. BTW you can not go wrong with this TV. It is an excellent HDTV ready ( you need an external HDTV tuner though) TV for a reasonable price. There is a good review of this and three other HDTV's by Toshiba, Philips and Zenith on the recent issue (Jan 2003)of Home Theater Magazine. If you want user opinion click on the URL below:

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...2-1318-8879879

There are about 66 user comment worth reading. I wouldn't give too much weight to single line comments. Hope this help. Happy reading. :)

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Are there any local TV stations broadcasting in HD in your area of Oklahoma? Check out at www.antennaweb.org with your address/zipcode to make sure. If not, the concern about an HD digital tuner might be moot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for all the help guys. I was originally looking at RPTV's but decided on the 34XBR800 because i play alot of PS2. I was worried about burn in. Also, thanks for the website DonBerg. I had tried finding something like that earlier with no luck. I know burn in is some risk with any tv but am i right in assuming that with tube televisions it's not as high as with RPTV? Thanks again.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
You are correct, modern DirectViews are fairly immune to burn-in compared to RPTVs, since the RPTV CRTs have to be run a lot brighter. Just use a reasonable lowered contrast/picture setting and you shouldn't have to worry with a direct-view set.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Seems like a standing issue - other than quality variations from the manfacturer - is the seemingly poor display quality of NTSC source material. The true winner in this arena is the set that can display 4:3 broadcast, and VHS signals of NTSC standard and do it well. This means, there must be some 'helping' to fill in the gaps in that lowly old standard. Talking about how good the HDTV broadcasts (if you have them) look or how super your game system looks is nice, but I suspect most folks will be watching 4:3 cable and vhs signals along with dvd, for at least the next few years. I'm not convinced, based on what I've read in the comments here and on the reviews mentioned earlier, that this tv is where it needs to be. What does it do to NTSC signals?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sooner22

Go to this site for information as to HDTV in Oklahoma. KFOR, KSBI, KOCO, KPAX broadcast in digital format. KOCO and KSBI all the time. Rest from 7PM to 1135PM. You will need a good antenna for most are not at full power at this time.
http://www.hdtvok.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.