AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, this has been bugging me for while..

Say I have a 720p video playing on a 32" 720p screen, then I have that same video playing on a 32" 1080p screen but it's being upscaled to 1080p to play on it. Will I notice any difference at all? Because It's the same exact size screen, but one is playing it at it's native size, and the other is stretching it to be bigger..

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Nothing is being stretched. The 720p tv is displaying the pic at it's native resolution, the 1080p tv is just taking the same pic and scaling it to 1080p, but the size of the pic is not affected. You will not see any picture distortion on the 1080p.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Scaled content sometimes seems 'softer' in pic quality though... to these eyes, anyway.

To be fair, on the 32" screen size you mention, it might be hard to notice. And 720p is fine for a set that size, scaling/lack-of-scaling aside.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15571002

Scaled content sometimes seems 'softer' in pic quality though... to these eyes, anyway.

It all depends on how good the scaler in the 1080p set is. With a good scaler, there should be no softness or other articacts introduced.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Resolution (720 and 1080) plays only a small part in this equation. Of course screen size does matter when taken into consideration. Other more important factors are how well a set can produce/display color, the quality of source material being fed into the set, quality of the set amongst other factors.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is my experience that I typically notice when the video is being upscaled, and personally prefer the crisper look of native resolution. That is a major reason I decided to go with a 720p 32" instead of a 1080 32". Given the distance I am sitting from the screen playing something in 1080p would not look any better than 720p, and most HD content is available in 720p.

That being said, I suppose with the high-end units is is more difficult to tell. But for a 32" I'd recommend saving your cash and going with a 720p.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15569169

Hey, this has been bugging me for while..

Say I have a 720p video playing on a 32" 720p screen, then I have that same video playing on a 32" 1080p screen but it's being upscaled to 1080p to play on it. Will I notice any difference at all? Because It's the same exact size screen, but one is playing it at it's native size, and the other is stretching it to be bigger..

The 32" native resolution is 768p not 720p. There have been a few sets made with a native 720p but they were plasma not LCD. 720p material must be scaled up by both 768p and 1080p sets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts