AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have the chance to upgrade my receiver this year to a new model that decodes advanced audio via hdmi. I am looking at mostly Onkyo and Yamaha, but have not actually test driven any yet. But there is one feature on my old reliable JVC (ok, I hear you all laughing-cut it out) has that really spoiled me and I am wondering if any of the mid-level Onkyo or yamahas have it.

On the front display there are a series of lights, each representing a channel in the 5.1 setup (C for center, LS for left surround, etc). Each of these lights comes on if there is info being received for that channel. Then there is a little box surrounding each channel. If I have that speaker activated, the little box outline comes on.

What this boils down to is that with a quick glance at the display from across the room I know what format the receiver is getting (2.0, 4.0, 5.1 etc) and what speakers are active. This is very handy to me to tell me if someone has acidently turned off surround mode or something like that.

A relative of mine has a high end Onkyo that does not have this type of display, and it seems strange to me to have to dig into a setup menu to verify something so basic. Go ahead, I can take it, tell me if I'm nuts. (But also try to let me know if this style of display is on any current models.) Thanks!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Most Denon models have this feature, they display whats received and whats being output in two seperate displays.

Don't know about Onk or Yammie, but most Pioneer's that I've been researching only display whats being output, not whats being received.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I haven't seen any of the "newer" receivers that don't have this feature no matter the maker or model.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to everyone who answered. It's hard to tell from pictures which models have this feature. As I said in the original post, I have not been shopping in person yet, only online. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts