AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this Ampro 4000G for a couple months or so now, but I just sold the Ampro 2000D that I was using, so now I want to set this thing up. I have a copy of the operator manual that I downloaded for $5 from the link in the Ampro FAQ thread, so I do have those basic instructions.

The manual does not include any discussion of how to adjust the electrostatic focus. Looking inside the projector I didn't see any obvious pots as there were in the 2000D, and so I'm wondering how (and when) do I make this adjustment.

If I were to get the service manual would it give info on this and any adjustment of the rings, etc that are not discussed in the owners manual?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi,

I found a command card for the ampro projectors and the focus controles are as followes.

98 Code = Enable Static Focus then the color. You don't need to enter it every time you want to change a color. Just press that color.

99 Code = Enable Dynamic Focus this is the same as above for adjustments.

I'm looking for the service manual in my shop that will comfurms these answers.

Also be careful adjusting these as some times you can push the sharp focus to far and cause that color to make a flash when watching yor source.

Hope these work for you & let us know,

Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Matt,

Doesn't the 4000 use the same High Voltage power supply with the three focus pots onboard as the 2000? Maybe there was another 4000 version that went to EM focus control. We all thought the 4200 was the first Ampro to do that. Maybe your p/s label fell off the focus pots?

The service manual does give a lot more setup info. It's well worth the cost to squeeze the most out of your projector. If you have the pots, the service manual quotes the following. (You probably already know this from your 2000 experience):

note: Standing at the back of the projector, the front most pot on the left side of the p/s is the blue focus, center is green, and back is red.

- Pattern required: Internal 15khz Crosshatch Pattern 2 (Dense crosshatch).

- Step 1. Using the remote control set the brightness and contrast to approx 85% or to the desired operating settings.

- Step 2. Displaying one color at a time, adjust the respective focus controls, and adjust the projected image until optimum sharpness is achieved.

Ray

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The foucs pots are on the HV supply box, the G2's are on each crt card... Should be the same as a 2000d.

If you find a connection for a service manual, I sure could use one as I have 3 4000d's.

Troy

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies! I will take a closer look at this when I get home to see if I can see the pots. I assume that if it had EM focus, then the 98 and 99 codes would work. I haven't tried them yet, but if I can't find the pots I'll try that.

Is there anyone with a 4000G service manual who would be willing to copy and send/email the pages relating to adjustment of electrostatic focus, astigmatism adjustment, beam focus, G2, etc? I'm willing to pay for them if the price is right.

One other question about the 4000g (probably applies to 4000d also): The operator's manual indicates that the lenses are liquid coupled. Is that right, or are they air coupled? I don't really want to remove the lenses and find a pool of liquid under the projector :)

Matt

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I took a look under the cover last night and sure enough, I found the 3 pots. They aren't labeled, but I don't know how I missed them before :eek: Maybe this weekend I'll have some time to try a proper set up!

Just to bump the second question from my earlier post:

The operator's manual indicates that the lenses are liquid coupled. Is that right, or are they air coupled? I don't really want to remove the lenses and find a pool of liquid under the projector.

Matt

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Matt,

I can remove the lenses on my 4300 by removing the 3 Scheimpflug bolts and the retaining nuts on the backside of the Scheimpflug bolts. The lenses are about 15 or 20 pounds a piece so be prepared for the weight when the last bolt comes out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Curt Palme has the service manual and schematics for the 4000. I'm waiting on a price to copy it. You ought to contact him direct. More copies will make it worth the trouble for him to do this.

The early 4000 models used the exact same power supply as the 2000 models. Later 4000 models have a more robust supply that has the 3 pots in a separate module from the HV power supply. On both types the electrostatic focus is the same. The big thing is to get a set of low power binoculars and follow the Guy Kuo focus technique. Boy that really helped me.

Yes, the lens are liquid coupled. There is a clear plastic bladder that holds the liquid to the lens and conforms to the front of the CRT. You can remove the lens without leaking fluid. Seems like I read somewhere there's a special coating on the CRT which is easily damaged if you use the wrong cleaner. My attitude is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just a caution about taking the lens off.

Mike

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mike. I'll contact Curt to let him know I may be interested in a copy of the service manual.

Thanks for the info on the lenses. I'd like to remove them to get a good look at the condition of the CRTs and take some pictures because I'm going to sell this (I have an Ampro 3600P that I will be using more permanently once our house is done).

I've read over the Guy Kuo focus technique thread several times, but haven't tried it yet. I got a pair of short focus binoculars just for this :)

I'd like to give it a try when I have a good chunk of time to put into it.

Matt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
When you get the lenses off look very closely at the tube face and lens holding the coolant. All three 4000d's I just got had minimal to moderately heavy "fungus" fairly evenly across the tube face and or glass. An easy fix since the lens unscrews and you can clean it out but there may be some very light buildup there that you wouldn't notice unless you know to look for it. Just a slight haze thats sometimes very hard to see, though it plays with focus and pq quite a bit.

Just something to look for.

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.