AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss is having me do some research on setting up a party-style bus with speakers. He already has the speakers, which are Bose 151, and he has 6 of them.

My question is, what would be the best way to amplify these speakers. One amp? An amp for each pair? Watts? Really any and all recommendations would be helpful. He just wants to play background music and such, doesn't need to be any elaborate rigging.

BTW please keep the Bose trashing to a minimum, he didn't ask me about the speakers, he already had them when I was asked to help. And also, he insists on 6 speakers. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Get a decent car stereo amp that is stable at 2 ohms.

Connect three speakers in parallel to each channel of the amp. I'd think 50wpc, give or take, should be more than plenty for background music and maybe just a bit more. If you think there will be frequent occasion of "just a bit more", might want to go up to around 100wpc, IMO.

What are you going to use to drive the amp/signal source?

·
Registered
868 Posts
I like the idea of running them in parallel but since they are 50W each you'd probably want at least a 150W /channel amp, ie since it is actually 3X50 = 150W worth of load at rated max output. Also since what I've seen calls them 4-8 ohm speakers (whatever that means) you'd probably want the amp stable to 1.33333 ohms when driving three in parallel. My inclination would be to go with even more power like 300W per channel and just plan on using restraint on the volume knob, that way it always sounds sweet even when the party is pumping.

It may end up being less expensive to get 3 100W/channel or so amps stable with 4 ohms.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly1 /forum/post/16975401

I like the idea of running them in parallel but since they are 50W each you'd probably want at least a 150W /channel amp, ie since it is actually 3X50 = 150W worth of load at rated max output.

It is unnecessary and adds cost to power speakers at or near their maximum power rating if the necessary volume/SPL level doesn't require it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm generally of the "no such thing as too much power" camp, but I just wanted to expound on the amp power vs speaker rating thing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help and suggestions. It ended up being a little more complicated than I first thought.

We had to run it the a VCD for a PA system. He also decided to put a flatscreen in the bus with a dvd player.

I talked him down to 4 speakers, so we decided to just use one amp to power them. Now off to install!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts