AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's what I'm trying to do:

I have a ps3 (hooked up through hdmi), stereo and hdtv. I would like to connect my stereo to my ps3. My stereo only has a headphones in and pc in port. My ps3 an opitical out and my tv an optical out (no headphones jack). How, if at all possible, would I be able to connect it to my stereo? Could I use this? And if so would I connect it from ps3 to stereo or tv to stereo? Sorry for my ignorance

·
Registered
628 Posts
Your PS3 has a stereo audio out (red and white RCA plugs). Just plug in the dongle thing and just don't use the composite video part of it. You can get a stereo RCA->1/8" adapter to go into your stereo. You can keep using the HDMI for video. Just make sure all the preferences are set in the PS3. I know this works cause my friends had to set theirs up that way after I moved out and they didn't have a receiver with optical in anymore.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Miyavi /forum/post/18275698

Would that effect the picture quality through hdmi at all?

No. You're still using HDMI for video, there is no change there.

Maybe you misread my post. Use the breakout cable for audio only, just leave the yellow composite video cable alone. You can set the PS3 to send the normal hi-def video through HDMI and send a stereo mixdown of the audio through the RCAs on the breakout cable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts