AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have an optoma 8300 projector, and was wondering if all anamorphic lenses are compatible with all pj, or only certain ones match with certain pj. I just bought a curved seymore screen and am just dabbling into this whole ultrawide thing.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
They are not 100% universal, but "close". There are incompatibilities when the A-lens is too small for the beam size coming out of the projector, and I think there's some other mounting / positioning circumstances that can prevent them from working together. But I don't think you'll have any trouble. Ask the lens manufacturer to be certain...

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Yes, there can be incompatibility. You want to make sure the lens was made specifically for projectors (not cameras) and that it's to be used to match the aspect ratio of the chip. In this case 1080p is 1.78:1 which means the lens should be close to 1.33x horizontal stretch. 1.78x1.33 = 2.367 which is right in the middle of most scope aspect ratios. They do make 1.25x, 2.0x ect type anamorphic lenses for other applications. Almost all the lenses you read about on this forum are meant to be used with a projector like HD83. The most popular one is the UH480 from Panamorph.

·
Registered
477 Posts
IMHO, The biggest compatibility issue is the throw ratio of the projector.

Shorter throws tend to introduce more pincusion/barrel distortion with a lens.

jautor and Seegs addressed the other issues you might face.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts