AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just had a question about how to properly configure my PS3 so that I can take advantage of my system. I have the PS3 hooked up to my 70' Sony SXRD via HDMI to get 1080p. My receiver is also a Sony ES STR-DA5100ES. I use it mostly for audio, everything else is routed to my TV. I have an optical cable going from my PS3 to my receiver. What are the best settings on the PS3 to get the most out of my system when I watch BR movies. I know that in the XMB there is some different options. I want to be able to get the uncompressed 5.1 audio. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You need an extra HDMI cable to go from player to receiver then put the other going from receiver to TV.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mac Lord /forum/post/0

So does this mean that unless I have a receiver that supports HDMI that I will be unable to get uncompressed audio?

That's what many of us are struggling with right now. We will only get 2.0 out of an optical connection.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi,

In my recent purchase of a PS3 I have the HDMI cable running to the TV and the optical cable to my surround system. I have found that when setting up my audio output options, if I select HDMI and choose the formats to send out (currently 2 channel pcm @ 44khz) and Digital optical for Dolby Digital, DTS. Why is it that one setting negates the other? This is happening whether I am playing a game or a blu ray. Sometimes I just want to use my TV speakers, and other times I want the full surround system. My upconverting player sends stereo audio through HDMI and the digital 5.1 stuff through the optical and coax jack simultaneously. I just turn the volume down on the tv when I want to use the surround sound. How can I get my PS3 to do this so I don't have to go into the setup menu everytime? Thanks for any help out there.

Regards,

Lippertize

·
Registered
250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantchicken /forum/post/0

That's what many of us are struggling with right now. We will only get 2.0 out of an optical connection.

Huh? I must've missed that memo. Granted I'm no audiophile, but that is not consistent with what I think I'm seeing / hearing. Normally I just use the TV's speakers for playing games and listening to music, then switch to the receiver for DVD's. However, just for you I ran a test.

Using a Sony STR DE845 receiver, on the PS3 I selected Optical and chose all the formats listed (DTS, AAC,...).

1) With just the XMB up, the receiver shows just 2 speakers lit

2) With a BD movie the receiver shows [ DTS 3/2 ] with all 5 speakers lit.

3) With Resistance game the receiver shows [ DOLBY 3/2 ] with all 5 speakers lit.

Oh yes, Lippertize unfortuntely there are no shortcuts - you have to manual switch back and forth between Optical and HDMI.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I belive what they are taking about is uncompressed pcm 5.1 audio (found on Blu Ray Movies) which you can only get 2 chanels of through the optical connection due to bandwith limitations, I have also experienced this. DTS and Dolby Digital come across fine over the optical conection.

·
Registered
82 Posts
unless a player has 5.1 analog out on it there is not way to get 5.1 uncompressed to the reciever without hdmi.

this is why I got a hdmi reciever. I wanted to go dual format and wanted lossless on both. then again if you were happy with the old DD of dvd just use that for now. I have a feeling 5 channels compressed is going to sound better than 2 channels uncompressed.

for me it ended up costing $250 to go with and hdmi reciever. sold my old onkyo for $300 and got my new one for $550. could have got the cheaper 604 instead of the 674 if I did not want hdmi cross converstion.

·
Registered
184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the__rob /forum/post/0

unless a player has 5.1 analog out on it there is not way to get 5.1 uncompressed to the reciever without hdmi.

this is why I got a hdmi reciever. I wanted to go dual format and wanted lossless on both. then again if you were happy with the old DD of dvd just use that for now. I have a feeling 5 channels compressed is going to sound better than 2 channels uncompressed.

for me it ended up costing $250 to go with and hdmi reciever. sold my old onkyo for $300 and got my new one for $550. could have got the cheaper 604 instead of the 674 if I did not want hdmi cross converstion.

I thought the receiver needs to have HDMI 1.3 in order to decode uncompressed audio. The Onkyos are HDMI 1.1.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This has been covered many times already in various threads.

Since your receiver does not have an HDMI input, use the optical cable going to the receiver. You have two options for the optical output: PCM or bitstream. If you need to get surround output chose bitstream. If you need to have lossless PCM then you need to choose PCM. However, keep in mind that optical cable cannot carry lossless surround signal, only lossless stereo. These are your options now. When you upgrade to a receiver with HDMI interface, set audio option to HDMI and then you will get lossless surround sound. You do NOT need HDMI 1.3 for that, HDMI 1.1 and 1.2 will be just fine.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts

Quote:
I thought the receiver needs to have HDMI 1.3 in order to decode uncompressed audio. The Onkyos are HDMI 1.1.

The player --in this case, the PS3-- does all the decoding. There is no decoding for the receiver to do. It simply must accept multichannel LPCM (uncompressed audio) over HDMI.

·
Registered
66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaDude /forum/post/0

Oh yes, Lippertize unfortuntely there are no shortcuts - you have to manual switch back and forth between Optical and HDMI.

Yeah, I spoke with Sony tech support this morning, and they said that for now, I will have to do the manual settings, but he was hopeful that a future firmware update would eventually eliminate that necessity. Thanks for the reply, AmigaDude.

Lippertize

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.