AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to AVS forums as I found you while googling on the web. I have just recently bought a new 42 inch LCD TV, 5.1 surround sound system, and receieved my HD cable box/DVR from comcast. I also have an Xbox 360 and a PC hooked up. My question is what would be the most efficient way to hook all of this up to get the best quality? Right now here is how I have it set up.

Coaxial cable from wall to Set-top-box, coaxial cable from set-top-box to TV. Audio RCAs from cable box to surround sound AUX 1, HDMI from surround sound to TV. Optical audio from Xbox 360 to surround sound. PC to TV via RGB connector, PC sound card to the AUX 2 input on surround sound.

Problem: with the current set up I have an audio/video sync issue when watching regular TV. DVDs do not have this problem. I have read on numerous posts that this can be fixed by setting up a delay but either I cannot find that option in my surround sound, or it does not have it. Any ideas on what could resolve my problems?

Also I have read that there is no difference btwn a 120 dollar HDMI cable and a 30 dollar HDMI cable is this true?

Components (if you need to know to help solve):

Vizio GV42L LCD HDTV

Explorer 8000HD Set-top-Box

LG LH-T9654S surround sound

Xbox 360

Custom built PC

·
Registered
752 Posts
As far as the $120 "monster" HDMI cable. Waste your money if it makes you feel better but bluejeanscable.com (forum sponsor) makes better cables at 1/4 the price.

You need to describe the way your equipment is connected a little better. I am a little confused by your description. HDMI is both video and audio (100% digital). In a perfect world if your receiver has HDMI in and outs, I would connect the set top box (via HDMI) to the receiver and same for the DVD player. Out of the receiver with another HDMI to the TV. Connect the XBOX360 the receivers optical audio and a component input (IF YOUR RECEIVER WILL CONVERT COMPONENT TO HDMI) and tadah. If the receiver wont upconvert the component to output on HDMI, than optical to the reciever and component to the TV.

Scott

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry let me better explain. Ya I knew HDMI was audio and video but the problem is I only have one HDMI port in my reciever....I have a HDMI cable going from the receiver (which has a DVD player built in) to my TV. Coaxial cables connecting my TV to my set top box (with the red and white RCA plugs connecting my set top box to my receiver for sound), and optical cable connecting xbox 360 audio to reciever, with component cables connected to the TV. Is that more clear?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well with one of those theater in a box receivers you are definitely limited. Does this receiver has multiple optical inputs???

·
Registered
752 Posts
One thing wrong is that you are connecting a set top with coax. (ie a modulated signal outputed onto channel 3 or 4) Worse transport method to a HDTV set and impossible to receive HDTV signals from a HDTV cable box. In order to receive a HD signal from the box, you have to use either an HDMI or component (red, blue, green video). It is impossible to pass HDTV to your TV without the correct cable.

Second make sure you actually have a HDTV settop box. There are several different digital cable converters out there and not all are HDTV.

Is there an in and out optical connectiom your TV??

·
Registered
752 Posts
post the make and model of the "theater in a box" and TV you have and maybe me or someone can google it to see the actual connections.

·
Registered
752 Posts
OK, looking at the rear panels of the TV and HTIAB . Here is what you should try.

First, HDMI from the reciever to the TV for the DVD (your dvd/receiver upconvers to 1080i so your good to go there)

Second, HDMI from the Comcast HD box (your TV has a optical OUT) hook this up to the receiver to hear the digial audio feed from the CATV box via the TV. I repeat, no HDMI or component video cables, no HDTV from the box.

Third, component to the TV from the XBOX360 and analog audio to the reviever for the game console. (the bad: no 5.1 audio from the games)

A different thing you could do is to manually swap the optical cables to the receiver from the XBOX to the output from the TV, depending on which you are going to watch.

You are correct in your limitations, but dont let that stop you. You can always upgrade later to a bigger better receiver / DVD (or use the XBOX for a DVD player!)

Hope this helps

Scott

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoSport /forum/post/0

Hope this helps

Scott

That is an understatement thanks for all your help and research on all my components! That definately put me in the right direction. I tried using the Xbox as a DVD player but without VGA cables i couldnt upconvert to 1080i. And with them, color was washed out. So I chose another route. Thanks again for all your help. Good luck in your home theater project.

One last question, could I come back later and add a different reciever to the LG one i have already?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Adding a receiver to the existing one....???? I doubt it, but using it in place of the existing one.... probally.

On the xbox deal. You dont need VGA for 1080i. There is a switch on the component video cable where it plugs into the XBOX360. This switches the output from 480 to 1080.

·
Registered
752 Posts
hmm, I was under the understanding that by switching that it upconvered everything to 1080i.

a lot I know, I even have one!! (XBOX360 that is, just not a HDTV .....yet. Im holding out for the finished theater and a 122" 2.35:1 screen!)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VGA:

HD DVD - 1080p resolution and all others

DVD - Upscaled as high as 1080p resolution and all others

Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

Component:

HD DVD - 1080i resolution maximum, limited by AACS

DVD - Upscaled to 480p maximum, limited by CSS

Games - 720p games upscaled to 1080p, also supports native-1080p games in the future

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.