Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone:

There's alot of great not so old receivers out there for sale.

Is there any way to take one of those 5 channel receivers and use them for bi-amping?

I have a 45TX and would like to take 4 channels of say a 37TX (or something like that) and use it for bi-amping my front mains.

Has anyone ever experimented doing this? What's the down side if it can be done?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
I never tried it. But, I suppose as long as it has pre-outs and power-inputs, you could split the front left and right pre-outs into two each of the power amp inputs. This will halve the input impedance, but may or may not be a problem, depending on the preamp section. Of course, you will lose the multi-channel surround capability.

If anyone sees something I don't, please correct me.

DAVE

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My recommendation would be to use a separate 4 or 5 channel amp for biamping. You can get good used 5 channel amps for as little as $5-600, and they will invariably provide much more power than any receiver amps. Check audiogon for some options.

Dsmith

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am considering a similar situation. However, I only want to bi-amp FL/FR. In a comparison of cost-to-performance; would it be favorable to purchase a 5x amp and use only the receiver FL/FR speaker outs with the 5x pushing all speakers to bi-amp, or to purchase a 2x amp and use it only to bi-amp FL/FR while allowing the receiver to power 5 channels?

·
Registered
129 Posts
This is what I did....

I run my Front L&R outs to a Adcom 5 ch amp. I then use the amp to bi-amp my R&L. Thus, there is one channel not used...maybe some day.

I do the same with the cc, but run it through a Acurus amp.

Although there are issues/recomendations that if you do this, an active cross-over should be inserted in the line, I do not have one (yet?..see my other thread on this topic).

Here is what I have come to find out....

1) you want to make sure the same amp is running the speaker...thus the Adcom ch 1 and ch2 run the right speaker and ch4 and ch5 run the left. You want to aviod one amp powering the hi's and a different powering the midrange. Why? 'cause it may be impossible to have them play at the same levels, same dynamics etc since they are rcving different signals.

2) now that I have this set up, the sound is great, dynamic and very clear. My rcvr (Arcam) was no slouch before, but the extra amps are great.

3) you can pick up a 5ch adcom amp on u-bid or ebay for under $400...the acurus is a bit more pricey....but work w/in your budget.

Now my rcvr just powers the surrounds...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I agree with Slewis. I did this with a H/K PA5800, using two sets of its 5 channels to biamp my LR, and the receiver amps for the center and rears. I could have used the unused channel on the 5800 for the center but I wanted to maximize available power to the mains. If you biamp be sure to remove the connecting straps between the binding posts. You will also need to re-set all speaker levels.

Dsmith

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.