AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am looking for 2 B&W M-1 speakers to serve as rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. I will be using B&W VM1's for the front and center channels. I am a cheap ***. I have been scouring ebay looking for a set of these M-1's. My question is, I know that there are 2 versions of M1's....older ones, and the 2012+ ones. I am obsessing over finding a deal on these, but all I can find so far are the older generation speakers. Am I really going to notice a difference in these 2 versions using them as just rear surrounds? Should I just buy some of the older ones, or keep looking for the newer versions? Also, how can I tell the difference visually between the older and newer versions? I am sick of asking ebay sellers, and I don't believe half of them anyway know what they are talking about. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The differences that I remember were using a nautilus tapered tube to give it more a BW signature sound. The other change was something to do with frequency response of woofer. I feel it made for noticeable changes.

To answer your question, it depends on how much you save as to whether it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctciatti  /t/1468513/question-about-bowers-wilkins-m1-speakers#post_23209796

Hello. I am looking for 2 B&W M-1 speakers to serve as rear surrounds in my 5.1 system. I will be using B&W VM1's for the front and center channels. I am a cheap ***. I have been scouring ebay looking for a set of these M-1's. My question is, I know that there are 2 versions of M1's....older ones, and the 2012+ ones. I am obsessing over finding a deal on these, but all I can find so far are the older generation speakers. Am I really going to notice a difference in these 2 versions using them as just rear surrounds? Should I just buy some of the older ones, or keep looking for the newer versions? Also, how can I tell the difference visually between the older and newer versions? I am sick of asking ebay sellers, and I don't believe half of them anyway know what they are talking about. Thanks guys.

Probably not (on big diff. in sound as surrounds). Older M1s = gloss finishes and come black, white, silver. Newer are matte finish and white, black.

B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts