AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i an new to this forum and i have been reading some of the post were the components that people are buying are said to be overkill to build a htpc. i am planing a htpc/gaming build and i wanted some opinions on the components that i am choosing.

the case

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout

moterboard

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA

cpu

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield

i dont know about the video card as of right now i am still doing my research on that.

and one other question, i have FIOS as my cable provider is there a particular tv turner card that i have to use for them?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
It's a solid MB/CPU combo. Any Nvidia 9000 series or G series or ATI 4000 series card will do everything you need HTPC-wise. Which one you get is going to depend on what level of gaming acceleration you desire.

The only thing to bear in mind is that the Nvidia cards will only pass 5.1 audio over HDMI, while the ATI cards will do 7.1. It's a moot point unless you have a 7.1 capable receiver.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you can go overkill with an htpc, not with a gaming machine, build to the game specs and you will be fine for htpc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agreed, the gaming front will be your most important aspect for your choice in powerful components.

I would be somewhat wary of your case choice. In gaming standards, its probably fine. For an HTPC, having a window and fans with lights can definitely be distracting for movie-watching. Also, that case needs some space to breath. Something simpler may be better, unless you definitely want the bling.

I've used the Antec Sonata III cases with the power supply that comes with it with some success. Looks a little more upscale. The 500watt power supply can run my QX6850/ati 4850 with no problem, and I used it on 2 other builds which have been solid for a year. If you get a case that requires a separate power supply, don't go crazy with a 600+ PSU, unless you are doing SLI, which I doubt from your specs so far.

I am lacking in knowledge on the TV cards as I'm not up to date, but I doubt any one in particular will work better with FIOS. http://www.hauppauge.com/ is one of the better manufacturers.

Enjoy your building!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the Antec Sonata III is a very nice case, the only reason that i was planing of using the COOLER MASTER Storm Scout case is because i would be able to install a Thermaltake CL-W0121 2U Drive Bay Water Cooling System. the room that the pc is going to be in is hot all year long, and because this case has 5 full drive bays i will still have space for my blue ray player & burner. in all actuality i am going to remove the fans that come with the case because they have a red light in them.

is the motherboard/cpu combo i have good for gaming?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxknight76 /forum/post/17011385

is the motherboard/cpu combo i have good for gaming?

Good.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
Add a powerful graphics card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.