AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42" panasonic plasma th-42px6u.

I was watching ESPNEWS last night and fell asleep with it on. It has a scoreboard on the bottom that stays there.

Anyway I was using it today for tv-watching and gaming, without noticing anything until now. I turned the tv on again a little while ago and the whole screen is black (before turning the cable box on) I noticed something and moved closer to the tv and could kind of see something that resembled the espn scoreboard of the bottom of the screen. I'm not sure that it was that because its hard to see the whole thing. My question is, is this burn-in? I can barely see it though and don't notice it at all when watching tv.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it is burn-in it will probably go away assuming your TV is relatively new. Most new plasmas are to the point where light burn-in will eventually fade. Some models have a white screen in the menu that you can display to eliminate light burn-in also.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts
It's probably only temporary image retention (IR) and it should go away within a few minutes to a few hours of watching full-screen content. And it's normal to be able to see IR on a black screen for a while even though it disappears when your watching a program.

It's only burn-in if it becomes permanent, so if it doesn't go away in a hour or a day or two then it's probably permanent. But it's very unlikely you burned it in by leaving it on when you fell asleep.

To prevent this from happening again, consider setting up the Timer feature to automatically turn the TV off every night at say 11:00 pm (or set up different off times for different nights) as a sort of safety net in case you fall asleep again. I got my boss to use this feature after he complained about his wife constantly falling asleep early and leaving their Plasma on all night with her black-bar 4:3 shows.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts