AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if this question goes here but it involves my Plasma so I will ask. I purchased The TH-C42FD18 Panasonic and I have Digital cable right now threw Comcast with no HD box yet. Now my question is I can no longer find any digital channels with HD over the airwaves like I could with my older LCD. Is there anyway I could switch over from using my cable box with no HD channels and than to local HD channels? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts
So are you saying that you subscribe to digital cable, but are using their regular non-HD digital cable box?

How were you getting HD over the airwaves with your old LCD TV? Using the TV's internal tuner and connected to an indoor or rooftop antenna?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Not 100% sure if you have the same setup but here's what I did with comcast. I have a standard digital box also, so I put a coax splitter on the cable line going into the cable box. I ran 1 line to the cable box and the other directly to the TV. Now I can watch standard digital through the cable box or switch my source to the direct coax on the TV and get all of my local TV in HD.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewaves /forum/post/15590012

Maybe there isn't a QAM tuner in that tv, thats a professional display model right? Thats probably the issue

Nope, the FD18 is a wharehouse club consumer model and it has a QAM tuner. All the various Panasonic consumer models have the same QAM tuner.

This afternoon my new neighbor got two new Panny TVs (42PZ80U) and a 32" LX85U LCD and i helped her set them up. I connected them both to basic cable straight from the wall (no cable box), scanned for all cable channels, and it picked up all the free QAM local "HD" broadcast channels and mapped them in the correct places.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/15589621

So are you saying that you subscribe to digital cable, but are using their regular non-HD digital cable box?

How were you getting HD over the airwaves with your old LCD TV? Using the TV's internal tuner and connected to an indoor or rooftop antenna?

The first part is right. The 2nd part is I had basic cable through a cable line but was still able to type in a digital Channel like (86-3) which is the digital number for NBC and it was HD.

SO I need to do ad a Splitter? I was hoping I could just go in the menu and choose to only watch hd channels or something lol.

·
Registered
15,997 Posts
With an antenna you'd get the free OTA HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, but is that the only I would be able to do so? I wish it was as easy as going into the menu and be able to switch from the digital box and just regular cable.

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum509 /forum/post/15590223

The first part is right. The 2nd part is I had basic cable through a cable line but was still able to type in a digital Channel like (86-3) which is the digital number for NBC and it was HD.

Ok so you were not getting HD over the airwaves on your LCD TV - you were getting the local HD channels over cable from the wall using the TV's QAM tuner. The cable companies often hide these HD channels in odd places in the hope that you'll just rent their HD cable box. Different brands of TVs will map these channels differently so while your old LCD TV mapped the NBC-HD on channel 86-3, on the Panasonic that same channel will probably be mapped on a different channel (maybe even something like 124-6 or 82-5). You may find that some channels are mapped above 80, while others are in the proper location as if they were coming over an antenna. I have three different brands of HD TVs right now and all the hidden HD channels are mapped differently than one another on all three TVs. Right now my Toshiba LCD TV has ABC correctly mapped at 7-1 and Fox at 11-1, but on my Panasonic they are something like 92-4 and 112-8. And sometimes the cable company will arbitrarily move these channels so you have to do another channel scan to find their new location.

FWIW, most cable companies charge the same rental fee for an HD cable box as they do for a regular digital non-HD cable box so if your cable company is like this, why not just trade your old regular box for a new HD cable box and get all the local and any extra free HD channels that way? A

Quote:
SO I need to do ad a Splitter? I was hoping I could just go in the menu and choose to only watch hd channels or something lol.

Yes you should add a splitter. Run one line from the splitter to the regular cable box, then run the 2nd line to the TV's RF input, go into Setup, select CABLE, and run a scan for all channels. Once it's done, go to analog channel 2 then just start selecting the next channel and see what you find and write down the channel numbers of the HD channels that you come across. You can verify if it's an actual "HD" channel by pressing the INFO key on the remote - if it indicates 720p or 1080i then it's an "HD" channel, and if it indicates 480i then it's a regular SD channel. You will also probably find dozens of blank channels as you scroll up through the higher channels above 79 or so.

But you should really check into swapping your regular cable box for an HD cable box

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I think Im'a do that. Get a HD box. But before that I will run a splitter and do it that way.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts