AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If one does not want to hire a professional calibrator is the main other option buying a calibration blueray/dvd? I don't have the money for a professional right now, but I'd still like to get some degree of calibration on my TV. Are there any calibration discs that come highly recommended? What exactly does a calibrator do that you cannot do with a disc? I understand they have tools that let the measure things that a calibration disc cannot, but do these tools actually allow them to effect changes in the TV display settings in a way that is unique from others or do they end up using the same menus as everyone else to implement the actual changes to the settings?

Also I see a lot of people talking about "ftl". What exactly is that and which setting on the TV corresponds to changes in ftl? Why is it so important?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I bought an AVIA DVD a few years back to calibrate a sony RPTV and it didn't work out well. The problem is the software would show an image and I would be instructed to get a picture that matched the image by changing menu settings. Problem is the menu covered the image so as I changed settings I couldn't tell if I was making progress or not. If the menu had been transparent, it would have made things much easier.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Calibrators take measurements of all the tv output settings in regards to picture with equipment and software. They are then able to make adjustments in the TV service menus to correct the issues diagnosed in their measurements. It takes them about 2-3 hours to do it well and accurate. Following the corrections they are able to generate the optimal settings for you set that render the picture most accurate. I had it done, and boy am I glad I did. Its like putting on your glasses. You could try the DVE Blu-Ray that they sell at places like Best Buy and is available on Netflix. I tried that first but wasn't satisfied.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasabin /forum/post/16947842

If one does not want to hire a professional calibrator is the main other option buying a calibration blueray/dvd? I don't have the money for a professional right now, but I'd still like to get some degree of calibration on my TV. Are there any calibration discs that come highly recommended? What exactly does a calibrator do that you cannot do with a disc? I understand they have tools that let the measure things that a calibration disc cannot, but do these tools actually allow them to effect changes in the TV display settings in a way that is unique from others or do they end up using the same menus as everyone else to implement the actual changes to the settings?

Also I see a lot of people talking about "ftl". What exactly is that and which setting on the TV corresponds to changes in ftl? Why is it so important?

Thanks

To some extent what you can do varies with the TV you own. Some Pioneer TVs, for instance, have settings (ISFccc day, night and auto) that can only be made available with computer programs you or a calibrator would have to purchase. Some makes have color and other controls only available through service menus not generally available to the purchaser. More and more sets in recent years have made more of their color, gamma, and other controls available without having to know secret codes. The advantage is that the user has many more choices to adjust their set. The disadvantage is that they have many more chances to mess up their set and make the picture worse.

The Spears & Munsil calibration disk is the latest available and easy to use. Available for $25.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Foot-lambert. It's a measure of luminance, or really in this case, light output for a display. Throw that term into the forum search box here to get a better idea of what's involved. One example is when out of the box, a display may be too bright for one's taste. At professional calibration generally tones that down as necessary. Since this darker sort of settings differs so much from store displays and their old SD CRTs, a lot of folks find plasmas to be a bit too dark after such pro calibration. The good thing is they can adjust it to your taste (highly recommended).

hth,

Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megasabin /forum/post/16947842

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't overlook trying some of the published settings on the forum. If you have one of the Pioneer KURO models, I am sure you can find settings here.

I know not everyone agrees with this, but considering you have nothing to lose, and it can't hurt your TV, why not try them?

I am using the settings D-NICE published for my KRP-500M, and I am very happy with them. They don't work for everyone, and they may not be perfect but if you are not going to have your TV calibrated, this is a cheap thing to try.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Bottom line is that hiring a pro will get you, let's say 99% of the way to perfect for a few hundred bucks, (there's always room to be just a little better) getting a good "setup" disk like DVE-BD or Avia or any of the others out there should get you at least 50% of the way there for a fraction of the cost...

You'll be amazed at the big picture differences you get just from getting the basic user settings close...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.