AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a hdtv. Colors vary by channel alot. and by source.

If I use avia, and I'm using it from my dvd player, which is hooked up to the tv via component, how do I know its making the proper adjustments for the cable signal coming through hdmi?

iow, what good is calibrating a dvd player through component, when I'm really concerned about the hdtv signal coming through hdmi?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by madjimithing

its $15 on amazon.com not to worried about the money and i know it may not dramatically change the PQ.

1. what i am wondering is if the DVE disc will flat out work on these sets ie be able to use the tests and also because of adjusting for these tests get a better picture?????

2.are these discs obsolete because of technology???

3. if there is a power failure does the bulb fan keep blowing? what damage is done to the bulb/tv if the tv is not properly powered down?

its thousands of dollars and i want it to perform the best it can and am trying to find out how.

Here is an e-mail my brother-in-law sent to the makers of DVE. This should help with the explanation.

David Abrams has responded to your help desk request.

-----------------------------------------------

(David Abrams)

-----------------------------------------------

Thank you for your inquiry regarding "Digital Video Essentials." Unless you have the ability to play back HD-DVDs via the VC-1 (Windows Media Video) codec you purchased the correct disc. In order to properly setup the HD signal that is going into your display you would need to have a source for HD formated test patterns. Currently our Professional Version of the program comes with the Windows Media Video discs described.

This does not mean that you purchased the wrong disc. If you watch standard definition DVDs and standard definition ! sources you can use the disc that you purchased to set that up. It will also get you close for the HD memory of the display.

The important thing to remember is that while the display will show you HDTV formated material, it will also display standard definition material. Each of those use a separate memory based on the input. Ultimately, for optimum results you may want to find a qualified video calibrator to set up the display for you. A full calibration requires special instrumentation and access to the service menu to complete.

If you have any other questions please let us know.

Regards,

David Abrams

Joe Kane Productions

Project Coordinator

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so are you saying that my point is correct, that calibrating a dvd source through component isn't going to do much for hdtv through hdmi?

·
Registered
92 Posts
i am wondering same thing. i think they can help but are limited to how good your dvd player is (passes BTB).

i haven't gotten my tv yet, i have read a lot of posts and hear new RPTV owners rave on the improve picture and others saying it doesn't do much. it sounds like it helps with contast and brightness settings.

i think avia and dve are waiting for dvd hd to update their discs. unless you want to pay for hundreds of dollars on the pro version that you hook up through a computer.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Another way to think about it is that you'll have one input that's calibrated to give you a guide of what the other inputs should look like. Not the ideal situation, but certainly of value.

One other thing that needs mentioning is that grayscale calibration, can't usually be made without access to the service menu, knowledge and equipment. So even with a calibration DVD, you can only go so far.

·
Registered
330 Posts
goMo,

I don't know how you're receiving your HDTV, but cable channel inHD1 runs a half-hour show called "Tuneup" most Saturdays at 7:00 AM. It contains some basic calibration patterns designed to optimize your HDTV picture. I DVR it and use it to calibrate my HDMI input. My Toshiba 46H84 allows different presets for each type of input (HDMI, component, etc.).

Hope this helps,

Ted

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. Ted - I have cablevision. The guide says its on Saturday morning, 7am. I just set it to record. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
10,415 Posts
Calibrationing a TV properly can get pretty tricky depending on the set and the test discs on the market are somewhat limited. Avia has color errors and the consumer version on DVE lacks sufficient gray window test patterns to quantify gamma properly. Getting your gray scale correct is also pretty complex.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

http://accucal.org/documents/AVIAobscura.pdf

http://www.accucal.org/documents/Avi...on_Factors.doc

http://www.videoessentials.com/docs/...sumer_NTSC.pdf

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
How about the THX optomizer? Would that be a good route to go with since I am using the set for mostly dvd using the hdmi hookup?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
quote:

goMO

thanks guys. Ted - I have cablevision. The guide says its on Saturday morning, 7am. I just set it to record. Thanks!!

Remember you will need a HD recorder to do this.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Good point, Kevin. I have the Comcast HD/DVR 6412 box and tend to take it for granted that all DVRs are HD. I should been more specific.

Ted

·
Registered
605 Posts
Dear Forum Members,

The benefits of using a calibration disc from a DVD player on the HDTV portion of the display will vary based on the type of display, some displays will allow you to copy the settings achieved with the DVD Player and benefit the HD input - other displays will not be as close. The best way to calibrate the HD input of any display device is to use true HD formatted test patterns. At this time there are several ways of getting this into your system, one is by an HDTV Test Pattern generator, these start at about $1,200 new and go up. Another way is to purchase a HTPC that will play back Windows Media Video properly, then purchase DVE Professional and use the enclosed WMV-HD DVDs. The most economical way to do this though, is to record the test patterns provided by HD NET at night, then use them through your HD-DVR, if one is available, to adjust your display.

Regards,

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I just went through the calibration session from the inhd channel. I gotta say, I was very unimpressed. The contrast section was confusing, as I had to turn my contrast up to 100% to see that last ring. Then, only the tint, it says yellow should look like a banana or a lemon, and magenta shouldn't be too purple of too blue. Geez, just a little subjective criteria, don't you think? It said a better calibration could be done with the blue filter. I had one waiting to go, but it didn't use it.

Also, and maybe more importantly, it seems that no matter how precise we'd like to get our sets, every single channel seems to have its own unique characteristics. Colors may be more saturated, or more reddish on one channel vs. another (at least on my tv).

So if something bothers me, I'll make small little corrections during a show.

Nothing's perfect...

·
Registered
405 Posts
I went through DVE last night and wound up just going back to the "Normal" presetting on my Optoma TV. I'll be eBaying my copy of DVE.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goMO
Also, and maybe more importantly, it seems that no matter how precise we'd like to get our sets, every single channel seems to have its own unique characteristics. Colors may be more saturated, or more reddish on one channel vs. another (at least on my tv).
This has been the most frustrating part of owning an HDTV, aside from lack of good HD content. I can have stunning perfection 75% of the time, then come across a program that has the saturation way too low, or more often, the brightness too low. INHD outdoor features such as King of the Air (kiteboarding) have amazing PQ during interviews of the athletes, with proper lighting/brightness etc but when they show footage of the actual action it looks like the camera guy tried to overcompensate for the sunny conditions by turning brightness so low that the entire image is too dark to enjoy. Not so bad on DVD's thank goodness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.