AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a PLV-Z1 and love it :). I've been watching movies on it now for a while and I'm finally ready to ceiling mount it :). I realize that there are mounts available and some good plans for DIY ones as well, but I have an idea and want to know if it's "half-baked."

The idea is for a platform that the projector would sit on "right site up" instead of "upside down." This would allow for easy removal (just unplug the cables and slide it off the platform). I'd "imagine" a flat platform with a slight down-tilt (probably around 10 degrees) with a small ridge at the front of the platform to keep the PJ from sliding off onto the floor. I'd mount it about 1 foot down from the ceilng.

I'm somewhat of a novice in this area, so "Is this a stupid idea?"

Thanks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The projector almost certainly needs to be "upside down" if it is going to be up high.

This is because the optics are designed to project correctly with the projector at one end of the screen (top or bottom), rather than centered halfway... So the optics project the picture "up" from projector.

To work from up high, the projector needs to be upside down so the image gets projected "down".

If you try to put the projector "right side up" up above the screen, and compensate by tilting it, you will get horrible keystoning of the picture.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dbixler, this is exactly the mount I built. With the Z1, you don't have to mount it upside down unless you want to. Just make sure the manual lens shift will take it down far enough for your screen and that you get a perfect 16:9 screen. Taking the picture to the lens shift limit may make your picture look awkward on one of the corners.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck_McDevitt

If you try to put the projector "right side up" up above the screen, and compensate by tilting it, you will get horrible keystoning of the picture.
Important point to stress here ...

Any keystone WILL effect image quality. How drastic is a matter of opinion ... but typically avoiding keystone correction at all costs is a good habit to get in to.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jeffballard,

Do you have any photos of your mount by any chance? Also, what is the lens-shift percentage if I were to mount it as I was describing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.