AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I was hoping to install Chief RPAU Projector Mount tonight.

I have purchased these parts:

1. Chief RPAU Projector Mount

2. CMA-105 ceiling plate

3. CMS Black Thread 1.5 NPT extension column

I am looking at the very first step. I want to install CMA-Black 105 ceiling plate but I am not sure what screws to use to attach it to the ceiling.

I only got 1 packet with 2 hex wrenches and 2 screws and a washer with it.

The holes in the ceiling plate are very large so I need large screws.

Should I have received screws with the CMA-105?

What type of screws I should buy?

Thanks

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,566 Posts
You want lag bolts and washers assuming you are screwing into something solid like a joist or blocking you installed between joists. Assuming you pick some up at the store that aren't black you can paint them before using.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I agree with Big. You want Lags for sure. If you don't have a drive set for a cordless gun, I would suggest pre-drilling a pilot hole, then using a ratchet. In regard to the other screws, they just provide you the ones with the security screws to avoid theft. Since it'll be installed in your home, I think you'll be ok.

I install these on projectors almost daily. One thing I will suggest when making adjustments is make sure that you loosen the screw before you use a screwdriver to stick in the hole and make an adjustment on the gear inside. If you don't, you might run the risk on snapping some of the teeth. I've done it before when I first tried it.. One of them days where I thought I was a know it all and didn't read the directions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I did install blocking between the joists. I was expecting lag bolts to be included with the ceiling plate. So it seems to me that lag bolts are not included.

I will take the projector ceiling plate to the Lowes and find the lag bolts and washers that are bigger than the holes in the ceiling plate.

So much for hoping to install the projector tonight.

I wonder what other parts I am missing my the the projector mount.

Thank you for your help once again.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I used lag bolts too - had some laying around that I had reclaimed from a bunk bed I dismantled years ago. Other than those, you should have all you need.

I didn't bother with the security thingies, if someone wanted the projector that bad, they could cut the pole right off with a hacksaw, or use a monkey wrench on it.

One thing I ran into was that I put the mount up and then realized that the adjustment screws were far too tight to loosen manually. I had to take down the mount, clamp it to a table, and use a screwdriver tip in a drill to loosen them all, and then put it all back up. So make sure to loosen those suckers before you mount it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.