AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TV wall at my house was prewired for plasma. Unfortunately all that is coming out of the wall as far as comonent video and analog audio is the cutoff end of a GEPCO snake. It looks like below.

http://www.gepco.com/pictures/produc...i_rgbsnake.jpg

The snake is 75 ohm digital coax (GEPCO RGB250). I'm familiar with making component video out of Belden 1694A cable and crimping Canare C-53 connectors, but 1694A cable looks very different. The stripping and crimping (or soldering) would appear to be a lot different.

I'm hoping someone here has used these before. My question is, what type of RCA connectors should I get? And how or with what tools do I strip and crimp the wires?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Never heard of that brand, but from the pic it appears to be decent stuff. You might contact Gepco and see if they offer any crimp-on connections. Hopefully they won’t require expensive proprietary crimpers and strippers like Canare does.

Personally, I’d just solder on my own RCA’s. Any decent-quality connector will do.

As far as stripping, crimp-on connections will require the recommend stripper. If you’re soldering, you can do it carefully with an exacto knife.

The shield doesn't appear to be copper, so make sure it will take soldering before you order your RCA's.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gepco has a BNC crimp connector for it. Easy enough to find a BNC to RCA adapter, but the crimper and die set required is very expensive from what I can tell (almost $350 by my count).

From what I understand, RCA type solder plugs are intended for analog audio and have impedance of around 23 ohms, and so when mated with precicion 75 ohm coax would have very poor Return Loss performance. Anyone know if this is relevant for analog component video? This will just be coming from my DVD player.

I think I may just not use the Gepco cable, and try to fishpole my own component cables down the wall. Sucks that the contractor was too cheap to put connectors on them though.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Quote:
From what I understand, RCA type solder plugs are intended for analog audio and have impedance of around 23 ohms, and so when mated with precicion 75 ohm coax would have very poor Return Loss performance. Anyone know if this is relevant for analog component video? This will just be coming from my DVD player.
I don’t know of anyone but Canare who makes RCA’s designated as 75-ohms, and they’re only crimp-ons for their own cables.

I honestly don’t think (indeed, seriously doubt) that the pre-made cables you buy at the stores even have true 75-ohm RCA’s. Unscrew the RCA barrels on some component and audio cables of the same brand/series line and see if you can tell a difference.

It really shouldn’t matter anyway – they’re going straight into the jacks on the components, and those aren’t 75-ohm, for sure. Obviously the signal can endure breaches in the 75-ohm protocol for tiny distances and maintain overall integrity. After all, you’re talking no more than a 1/4†max between where the cable breaks for the solder connection and the connection is made inside the component (once the cable is fully plugged in).

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.