AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Test Patterns application that comes with Colorfacts operates in the 0-255 or 16-235 space? Is there a way to switch between these two settings? I could not find any option in the test pattern app to set it on way or the other. Thanks!

On a related note, I am looking for a little app that will generate full field gray from 0 - 100% in increments of 5% and make it every easy to flip around. The Colorfacts test app seems like it would be good for this, as you can easily use the arrow keys to bump from 5% to 10%, then to 15% and back etc. If the Colorfacts app cannot to 16-235 I'd appreciate it if someone knows of such a thing (I have these patterns on DVD but I want to generate them from my cpu to make it very easy to switch around like crazy as is necessary for me when calibrating custom gamma).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/17046415

Does anyone know if the Test Patterns application that comes with Colorfacts operates in the 0-255 or 16-235 space? Is there a way to switch between these two settings? I could not find any option in the test pattern app to set it on way or the other. Thanks!

On a related note, I am looking for a little app that will generate full field gray from 0 - 100% in increments of 5% and make it every easy to flip around. The Colorfacts test app seems like it would be good for this, as you can easily use the arrow keys to bump from 5% to 10%, then to 15% and back etc. If the Colorfacts app cannot to 16-235 I'd appreciate it if someone knows of such a thing (I have these patterns on DVD but I want to generate them from my cpu to make it very easy to switch around like crazy as is necessary for me when calibrating custom gamma).

have you tried HCFR?

does ur vid driver have a "passthru" mode so it won't alter the patterns?

will you be using the computer as ur source for viewing content?

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaufman /forum/post/17048340

have you tried HCFR?

does ur vid driver have a "passthru" mode so it won't alter the patterns?

will you be using the computer as ur source for viewing content?

Thanks for the reply glaufman.

Yes. In fact I use HCFR as my main calibration tool of choice.

However unless I am missing it, there does not seem to be any options for displaying gray at 5% increments from 0-100%.

I choose the "View Images" option when staring a "New" calibration file. I changed its configuration to 16-235 to match my "standard" HDMI type and told it to use Display 2 which is the HDMI output from my laptop.

I ran into three main challenges with doing this:

1) When I run a Grayscale Measurement, it displays the patterns on the projector and automatically advances them. HOWEVER - when it displays 0% it is obviously too bright (more like 5%) instead of what a 0% full field looks like.

What is strange is that if I use the Advance menu to manually bring up the patterns options and select "Black" as the pattern to display, THEN it displays 0% as black like I expect.

But for some reason when it does the grayscale measurement when it goes to display black its too bright. Likewise I checked some other gray levels (Y) this way and when compared to the AVS HD 709 pattern from my player (also connected via Standard HDMI type) the levels do not match up.

My graphics card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570. I am running Vista x64. I found an option in the ATI control panel and it was set to something like "limited RGB 4:4:4". I think this is correct if I am trying to emulate what a "Standard" HDMI signal sends from a blu ray player? There was another option in there like "full range 4:4:4" and some YCbBr options.

Any thoughts on why these patterns were not outputting what I expected? As mentioned I do have HCFR set to use 16-235.

2) Another reason I am looking for a tool other than HCFR to produce the patterns (I will still measure with HCFR) is that I do not see a way to display random 5% gray fields and quickly move back and forth. For instance I want to use an arrow key to move from 5% to 10% to 15% and then back to 5% and up to 20% and so forth.

3) When I try the Overlay test it fails and HCFR tells me so and says it will use GDI instead. Should I care? What's the benefit of overlay? This graphics card is pretty powerful as is the laptop, and I having the latest DirectX and Vista x64. I would think this connection should be able to handle the overlay test since its a very modern and powerful configuration.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice you have that may help me make progress on these items. Thank you so much in advance!!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/17049192

Thanks for the reply glaufman.

Yes. In fact I use HCFR as my main calibration tool of choice.

However unless I am missing it, there does not seem to be any options for displaying gray at 5% increments from 0-100%.

Go to Measures/Parameters and you can change "number of grayscale steps" from 10 to 20.
Quote:
I choose the "View Images" option when staring a "New" calibration file. I changed its configuration to 16-235 to match my "standard" HDMI type and told it to use Display 2 which is the HDMI output from my laptop.

I ran into three main challenges with doing this:

1) When I run a Grayscale Measurement, it displays the patterns on the projector and automatically advances them. HOWEVER - when it displays 0% it is obviously too bright (more like 5%) instead of what a 0% full field looks like.

What is strange is that if I use the Advance menu to manually bring up the patterns options and select "Black" as the pattern to display, THEN it displays 0% as black like I expect.

OK, that's a new one on me... try unchecking the "grayscale in NTSC IRE levels" box in the same parameters window...
Quote:
My graphics card is a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570. I am running Vista x64. I found an option in the ATI control panel and it was set to something like "limited RGB 4:4:4". I think this is correct if I am trying to emulate what a "Standard" HDMI signal sends from a blu ray player? There was another option in there like "full range 4:4:4" and some YCbBr options.

currently over my head...

Quote:
2) Another reason I am looking for a tool other than HCFR to produce the patterns (I will still measure with HCFR) is that I do not see a way to display random 5% gray fields and quickly move back and forth. For instance I want to use an arrow key to move from 5% to 10% to 15% and then back to 5% and up to 20% and so forth.

Well, If you're not happy with AVSHD then you won't be happy with any of the other disks I've used (DVE, DVE-BD, Avia2)... haven't seen one yet with a single click to change...

Quote:
3) When I try the Overlay test it fails and HCFR tells me so and says it will use GDI instead. Should I care? What's the benefit of overlay? This graphics card is pretty powerful as is the laptop, and I having the latest DirectX and Vista x64. I would think this connection should be able to handle the overlay test since its a very modern and powerful configuration.

Answer to this really depends on the answer to another question I asked you that you must've missed... will you be using your computer for the content you'll be viewing on this display? If not, then not only don't you care, but you should be generating the patterns in that other source as well. However, if you are, then you may or may not care about overlay... my limited understanding of that area is that overlay is a motion video mode, so you might care, but also that it is being used less and less, so you might not care...

Sorry, but I've only learned so much so far...

·
Registered
13,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Yes I have it set to 20 steps grayscale and I have the IRE box unchecked.

Sorry I missed your question about playback. No I am not playing back material from the laptop. The only reason I want to calibrate my pj with the laptop generating the source is because it will make the calibration much easier.

For instance I can have it run the grayscale automatically, without having to advance the chapter on AVS HD 709 disc and so forth. Since I run dozens of these during a calibration session it would speed things up. Also as I need to switch between various 5% gray fields for adhoc measurements doing so is faster and easier than navigating the disc.

My understanding is that even though I am not using the laptop to watch material, that if its hooked up via HDMI, then I should be able to use HCFR to generate the patterns and have them be identical to what the AVS HD 709 disc would generate - yet have it be automatic (i.e. automatic grayscale measures as discussed above). Is this not the case? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/17053027

Thanks. Yes I have it set to 20 steps grayscale and I have the IRE box unchecked.

Then I'm not sure how to fix it...
Quote:
Sorry I missed your question about playback. No I am not playing back material from the laptop.

Then the generally accepted rule is to use your normal source as the source for your patterns so that you're calibrating the entire playback chain, otherwise you're introducing a new variable after the calibration process...
Quote:
My understanding is that even though I am not using the laptop to watch material, that if its hooked up via HDMI, then I should be able to use HCFR to generate the patterns and have them be identical to what the AVS HD 709 disc would generate - yet have it be automatic (i.e. automatic grayscale measures as discussed above). Is this not the case? Thanks!

I don't know if the adjustment settings in your video card driver affect HDMI output or not, so to me it's possible they do, which would mess up what you're trying to do. I do know that the particular driver I have for the particular card in the dekstop I'm typing on right now has settings in the user interface that affect its DVI output, so I'd be wary...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.