AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping for your input. I was trying to put together my first home theater/stereo system. For budgetary constraints, I really liked the Cherry Energy RC 70 tower speakers. My question was would that be sufficient for a 15X 15 room or do I also need to get the RC-LCR and RC-R satellite speakers (which I didn't see in cherry at VANNs)+ sub. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
28,803 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have the rc 70s and they should fill you area for stereo but for home theater you should get the center for sound stage. My experience is the rc 70s are hungry hungry speakers. Make sure you are using a power full system as you might not be able to resist turning way up and with the clarity of sound at hight volume it is hard to judge how loud they are. If you go with a 2 channel system bi-amping should be easy.

The RC-70 are 8ohm but will dip down to 4ohm which can put a lot of strain on a avr. If you start pushing the .1 (LFE) signal from 5.1 sources to them as well you will require futher power in quanity and quality.

BTW I over heated my Denon 2707 (110 watts/ch) today. My own fault I guess running 7ch stereo for 5 hours at -2db and using a crossover of 40hz to the sub playing bassy club music was too much
Every time I got used to it I turned it up and did not realise the extremes I was pushing it to. No damage done and -20 sounded plenty loud 2hrs later. It sounded sooooo good before

Some day I will get a pro amp and really up them up.

The RC-R's are great HT surrounds but went for the RC-10 bookselfs as they worked better for my room and also better for music (2 ch).

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Wow just checked out Vans for the first time. Wish we had them here in

Canada. All my speakers are black but did not know there where other colours that show off the quality of materials better and the prices are insane. Looking at the RC-70 they put together the package I have (with a better sub) for about what I paid just for the towers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for everyone's input, now all that's left to decide is the receiver, any rec's. I was hoping to spend less than $500 if possible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am going to go for the RC-70's, we will definitely be listening to music as well. I thought of going for the RC-70's plus the center channel and a blu-ray +receiver for now, in a few months I am hoping to complete the system.

·
Registered
558 Posts
"Wow just checked out Vans for the first time. Wish we had them here in

Canada."

Same here. I have the RC-30's in Cherry and would kill to get the LCR that Vann's is offering for $299. I Can't even find the Cherry LCR here in Canada.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuaySteve /forum/post/16881453

"Wow just checked out Vans for the first time. Wish we had them here in

Canada."

Same here. I have the RC-30's in Cherry and would kill to get the LCR that Vann's is offering for $299. I Can't even find the Cherry LCR here in Canada.

I don't mind mixing colours (if I ever get married my HT is in trouble) and have been thinking of replacing my RC-10 with 30 for sorounds. At these prices I could get the 50 and maybe 30s for the surruound backss. That would be so sweet.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patemd /forum/post/16879709

Thanks for everyone's input, now all that's left to decide is the receiver, any rec's. I was hoping to spend less than $500 if possible.

The Pioneer VSX1019 is a good bet. Use the extra channels for Biamping the RC-70's as they'll apprectiate it. Solid amplifier section at a great price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts