AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently got a Sony BDP-BX1 bluray player, which I currently have hooked up to my Samsung HLN4365s HDTV via component video cables, because my TV does not have an HDMI receptacle.

The TV does, however, have a DVI-D receptacle. So I made the decision to get an HDMI-to-DVI cable to maximize my picture.

Here's my only question: Do I need a single link or dual link DVI-D connector? I've done some research on the differences, etc., but I have still been unable to definitively determine whether any benefit will be realized by having a dual link as opposed to single.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
107 Posts
All DVI devices on consumer electronics are single-link (the one with the two sets of 9 pin matrices).

The difference between the two is a matter of what resolutions can be transmitted: single link can do up to 1920x1200, and dual link can do up to 2560x1600. Since DVI devices can only accept 1080i as the max resolution, single-link is all that's needed. You can probably use a dual-link cable, since female DVI jacks have all 15 pins open, but the extra 6 pins won't be used for any actual transmission.

You're actually best off investing in a DVI-HDMI cable. It has a male HDMI jack on one side and a male DVI jack on the other. You can get them at Monoprice pretty cheaply (I've got a couple of them and they're great!).

The only place you absolutely need dual-link cables are on graphics cards (so they can support huge monitors) and on massive compute monitors, such as the 30" Apple Cinema, that have native resolutions above 1920x1200.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant--that was precisely the answer I was looking for. Thanks so much for the help (and the education).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts