AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched this topic here and other places but just wanted to get more input on what I am trying to do. I just bought my first receiver a Yamaha RX-V765 and want to hook my HTPC up to it. I have a SB 0060 Live! 5.1 sound card, I know I have a 7.1 receiver
. Before I buy a new sound card I read that I should be able to hook up mine using the 1/8" "Digital Out" connector on the back of the sound card. What I have read is I can use a regular 1/8" to mono rca connector and a digital cable to connect the two. I have read some ups and downs on this but wanted to get others input.

I have all of my DVD's converted to MKV's with AC3 5.1 sound using Handbrake. Should I have any trouble playing these and getting 5.1 out of them?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
From the description on Amazon:

"With the ability to connect to Dolby® Digital and multi-channel digital speaker systems or analog audio devices, you can experience true 5.1 surround sound with all PC audio entertainment. "

You would like to pass a pure unaltered digital signal to your receiver, where the receiver can decode it for you.

Normally that's done with an optical cable, or a coax cable, or an HDMI cable.

From the description above, it sounds like the 1/8 port can do analog or digital.

Quote:
What I have read is I can use a regular 1/8" to mono rca connector and a digital cable to connect the two.

Then I'm guessing that the 1/8 mono to RCA will give you the digital connection if you plug it into the receiver's digital coax port.

Check the Sound options in Control Panel to see what Windows thinks. There are some tests there that might help.

·
Registered
263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/18140290

If you use the digital out then you should have no problems getting 5.1 on your receiver. You'll just need a 1/8" to RCA converter.

That's correct...that's the setup I had with my old HTPC with Windows MCE 2005 and SB Live 5.1. It just used either the left or right of the RCA connector to connect to my Digital Coax input of my Sony STR-DA4ES receiver. Worked great for 4 years. All I had to do was get the latest Creative drivers for the card, click on Digital/SPDIF output only on the control panel, then configure FFDSHOW tryouts to passthrough DTS & AC3, or convert AAC to AC3 in realtime if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.