AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am a big n00b when it comes to car stereos and was hoping to tap into the huge expertise that this forum represents.

Here is the scenario:

I have purchased a new car that came with a dual bay GPS/Car Stereo unit. It has a big touch LCD screen for the GPS/Radio interface that pops up with a EULA I have to agree to EVERY TIME I TURN ON THE CAR! But that is not the big problem. The problem is that it does not have any inputs for my 3GS iPhone. My solution: by a new car stereo unit with the features and interfaces I want. I do not want a GPS built into it but will instead use the iPhone for that.

My problem/question: I was looking at the Pioneer DEH-P6100BT (USB interface, in the front. YAY!) and the Sony MEXBT2700 (USB interfaces comes out the back?!? BOO!). When I plugged in my iPhone on a test unit with the USB cable, the car stereo (in this case the Pioneer) grabbed control of playback and I could not use the iPhone's interface for controlling my music/podcast playback. I would much rather use the iPhone's interface as I have a nice vent mounted holder for the phone that has it at the eye level I want to be able to control it without taking my eyes off the road as I drive. This is preferable than having to look all the way down at an itty bitty screen with unfamiliar controls on the faceplate of the car stereo. Is there a way to tell the car stereo not to assume control of music playback and instead allow me to control it through the iphone? Could this be an iphone setting? I know I can just got with input through the AUX jack instead and forgo the USB interface but that means two cables (one for power to the lighter hack and one for music) instead of just one. Am I overthinking this?

Also, any comments on the Sony MEXBT2700 or the Pioneer DEH-P6100BT for my solution would be appreciated.

Thanks AVS Forum goers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It would be much cheaper / easier to look for an add-on cable for your car's built in stereo. Often these add ons allow you to control the iPod portion of the iPhone using your steering wheel controls and built in head unit controls. The GPS in your car is likely more sensitive (accurate) than the one on the iPhone and depending on other vehicle options (upgraded sound system, OnStar since I see your name is GM_Scorch) might not work properly if you replace just the headunit and don't replace other parts.

If you are dead-set on replacing your current head unit however, there is a way to trick the iPhone into letting you keep control of the screen when it's plugged in. It's not the easiest thing to do and it requires your phone to be jailbroken, after the jailbreak you need to SSH into the phone and edit some Hex Keys. I did this on my iPod Touch and while it's not an ideal solution, it got the job done until I have a proper fix for it. I don't have the link for instructions here at work, but I can try to look for it later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I had totally forgotten about the steering wheel controls which I do indeed have. One more thing to worry about, I guess.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_Scorch /forum/post/18273505

Thanks for the reply. I had totally forgotten about the steering wheel controls which I do indeed have. One more thing to worry about, I guess.

Yeah in most cases you'll lose the steering wheel controls if you change the stock head unit. There are some adapters that can be used but I've heard that some of them have pretty bad lag time between user input and unit acknowledgement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am now investigating adding an AUX port to the JBL Head Unit that came with the car. The more I use it the more I am liking the GPS system with its big screen. There are products out there that just go in through the SAT or CD inputs to add a simple AUX jack or an entire iphone interface.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseb552 /forum/post/18273239

It would be much cheaper / easier to look for an add-on cable for your car's built in stereo. Often these add ons allow you to control the iPod portion of the iPhone using your steering wheel controls and built in head unit controls. The GPS in your car is likely more sensitive (accurate) than the one on the iPhone and depending on other vehicle options (upgraded sound system, OnStar since I see your name is GM_Scorch) might not work properly if you replace just the headunit and don't replace other parts.

If you are dead-set on replacing your current head unit however, there is a way to trick the iPhone into letting you keep control of the screen when it's plugged in. It's not the easiest thing to do and it requires your phone to be jailbroken, after the jailbreak you need to SSH into the phone and edit some Hex Keys. I did this on my iPod Touch and while it's not an ideal solution, it got the job done until I have a proper fix for it. I don't have the link for instructions here at work, but I can try to look for it later.

I need the directions to edit the hexes on my iphone please help me :/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts