AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all

I'm attempting my first DIY speaker project, the Bargain aluminum MTM design from Zaph Audio. I have found all of the listed parts for the crossovers except for one of the inductors ".30 mH .2 ohm MB Standard 19ga." The closest I could find has the same inductance but a .3 ohm resistance rather than the .2 specified. Would the extra 0.1 ohms resistance make a noticeable difference in how the crossover performs, or would it be ok to use these? I'm thinking it should be close enough but wanted to make sure before I mess up my first build
Also, since I couldn't find reference to the listed part anywhere I'm not sure if it's an air core or iron core or something else... does this make any difference?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Link: http://zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

Air core is certainly acceptable.

Iron core is generally cheaper for a given value, and the difference can be substantial for large inductors. I'm not sure when it's okay to use them or not, but they are most often used in woofer circuits. So, my wild ass guess is that it would be okay to use iron core in this case. But this also doesn't seem like a case where there would be much savings, either.

-Max

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.