AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking about buying a CS-1 to connect to my front CRT and my HDTV at the same time. I having been thinking about buying the CS-1 because of the fact that it can scale a progressive image.

Here is my question, I have a old Iscan Pro, and I was thinking about connecting the Iscan to the CS-1 using a VGA to BNC breakout cable, VGA from the Iscan output and the BNC Green, Red and Blue to the Y Pb Pr progressive input on the CS-1. Then using a second VGA to BNC breakout cable to output from the CS-1 to my HDTV. VGA end from the CS-1 and BNC Green, Red and Blue end into the Y Pb Pr input on the TV.

Would the CS-1 take the progressive output from the Iscan and scale it, and by doing so would I get a better image than standard interlace output to the CS-1??

Thanks

ZAGBY

·
Registered
124 Posts
Zagby,

What you would be doing in this case is bypassing the de-interlacer in the CS-1. The only reason that I could see doing this is if you thought that the de-interlacer in the IScan was significantly better than the one in the CS-1. You will, however, be putting lots of additional stuff in the signal path (the iscan, and lots of connectors and cables). This typically will degrade the signal.

Ken

·
Registered
399 Posts
The Iscan and CS both use the Silicon Image de-interlacing IC, but I think the CS uses a newer one. I think you would be better off just feeding the signal directly to the CS.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Ken and Matt,

Yes, I was thinking that would be the case with the added cables, and I hear that the Sil504 chipset in the CS-1 does a better job of de-interlacing that the Sil503 in the Iscan Pro. I guess the idea with the progessive input would be for connecting a DVD player to it with DCDi de-interlacing.

Always, thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.