AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a huge RPTV guy and will never change because of size and pure brilliance of full 1080i, but since I went to HD downstairs, the upstairs analog looks like a baby monitor with poor color.

I hadn't planned on getting a 2nd one and don't want to go high end because it will be about 10 to 15 percent of my viewing. I was in Best Buy getting some CD's the other day, hadn't been in their video section in over 2 years out of fear of being seen, but I decided to see what they had now days, and was suprised to find a closeout on a 30 inch, widescreen , Samsung that actually said HDTV and 1080i on the panel, and this confused me because no tube is supposed to be able to do full 1080i, and none would last year when I inquired. I was told it was because of size, that they could play it, but not full capability.

The set was marked down to 899 and it looked pretty nice. To further muddy the water, the set I am replacing is a 27 inch Samsung that I bought in 1984, while I was in Korea. Questions:

1) Why would a Full HD 30 inch be 899?

2) How does this set say HDTV and 1080i on it when they aren't suppossed to do that with tubes?

3) Why doesn't the Loewe or the Sony XBR2 or the Panny say it at over doubjle and triple the cost?

· Registered
71 Posts
I'm guessing which model you saw, and at $899 it seems like a fair price. IMHO, the set has weak power regulation, so that brighter pictures bloom and become bigger while darker pictures shrink a bit. That leads to geometry problems and all of those issues. Color accuracy isn't great either.

The set will indeed display 1080 scan lines. It's pretty easy to do because it really only has to do 540p and offset each field one scan line.

It will likely not display full 1920 pixels across, but then 1080i is filtered to about 1400 (1440?) pixels across anyway.

I also think it looks pretty cheap...

But I'm very eager to see Samsung's new 26" wide screen and saving up to buy a new FP setup in a few years; one that doesn't even exist yet.

One usually gets what one pays for, and all the Samsung's I've seen are no exception. That being said, I may well buy one for watching news on in a bright room.

Chris

· Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Torginator
I'm guessing which model you saw, and at $899 it seems like a fair price. IMHO, the set has weak power regulation, so that brighter pictures bloom and become bigger while darker pictures shrink a bit. That leads to geometry problems and all of those issues. Color accuracy isn't great either.

The set will indeed display 1080 scan lines. It's pretty easy to do because it really only has to do 540p and offset each field one scan line.

It will likely not display full 1920 pixels across, but then 1080i is filtered to about 1400 (1440?) pixels across anyway.

I also think it looks pretty cheap...

But I'm very eager to see Samsung's new 26" wide screen and saving up to buy a new FP setup in a few years; one that doesn't even exist yet.

One usually gets what one pays for, and all the Samsung's I've seen are no exception. That being said, I may well buy one for watching news on in a bright room.

Chris
It was 1299, but I do appreciate all the help. My other option is to spend 1600 wholesale on the top of the line Panasonic, which is 2199 in the store. It is a 34 inch though and I really didnt want to spend that much. Maybe I could see if that whoesaler has smaller HD sets in that same line. The Sony's still look better to me but I don't want to spend 2500 on a bedroom set.

· Registered
278 Posts
If it's the Panasonic CT-34WX52, stay away from it!

· Registered
4,528 Posts
The Sony 34XBR800 is getting a upgrade (34XBR910) this Summer. Once this occurs you'll be able to get a fantastic deal on this older top of the line widescreen as the stores will be super motivated to move out the dated stock. You'll probably have to move quickly and keep close track of the newer TV release date.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.