AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im about to either buy denon x4100w for 5.1.2 or marrantz sr7009 for 5.1.4. now i need some help.
my seating position is against a back wall, and viewing distance is only 8 feet from the tv. now will a 5.1.4 set work in my situation? or is it best for me to have 5.1.2? also is this similar to 5.1 vs 7.1 if you have 5.1 setup and play 7.1 source the the surround back cahnnel gets mixed into the rear channels?
so will i get the same information on the .2 as with .4? will the .4 information go to .2 celing speakers?

if i go with atmos .2 speakers i will have them in the middle of the room ceiling so that may work but i just dont want to compromise so if i can achive a 5.1.4 in my room than i will go for that, but dont know where to place the 4 ceiling speakers. can someone advice thanks.

·
Registered
15,017 Posts
5.1.4 will work fine in your situation: place Front Height speakers above your mains and Top Middle above and slightly in front of your seating position.

Note that the X4100 can provide 5.1.4 Atmos if you buy an external stereo amp or if you use your existing AVR to amplify those two additional speaker channels. It can't expand to 7.1.4 as the SR7009 (and X5200W) can, but your room wouldn't be ideal for that anyhow.

·
Premium Member
90,431 Posts
With only 2 Height speakers, you'll ideally want to place them just slightly forward of the seating position. If you can add 2 more Height speakers, you can place them either at the top of the Front wall (aka "Front Height") or if ceiling mounted just above the Front speakers, but would still be labeled as "Front Height" even though technically mounted in the "Top Front" location.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi thanks for the reply. so basically if im going 5.1.2 than i will place the top speakers slightly in front of my seating position and if im going 5.1.4 than i place the front ceiling speakers 1 feet in front of the main speakers and back top speakers above the listening position or in front of the listening position.

i see in the layout of 5.1.4 and its showing the back top speakers needs to be behind me and front top speakers needs to be 1 or 2 feet in front of the main left and right speakers. but if i go 5.1.2 will i miss the some information from 5.1.4 to 5.1.2?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry to ask also if i dont ceiling mount can i use the speakers as front height and back height, given my room is small and given that if i had ceiling mounted it will only be 1 feet foeward only from the main left and right. so if i can use the 4 atmos speakers and place them as heights above the front and rear speakers than i have more options for powerful speakers and might get a more fuller sound and higher spl.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
How good is your base system? You're going through a lot here to get Atmos though it's only supported on a few titles most of which are terrible.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i will be buying the following bk xls 400 subwoofer with either denon x4100w or marantz sr7009, i was going to use kef t301 as atmos speakers as they are flat, but im thinking to use proper bookshelve speakers as atmos speakers, i have read in avforums a member uses a 5.1.2 config and the atmos speakers are placed above the front left and right speakers but higher up like front height speaker placement, and he says it works great. as he has a small room ceiling mount will not make much difference as the viewing distance is also 8 to 10 feet.

hence i am asking can i use 4 speakers and place them on front and rear wall as heights, the rear wall speakers will be above my head and the front heights with the wall mount will be 7 feet and not 8 feet as my main left and right will be. hope this help and someone can add some feedback to this set up and someone who is using this config will help even more.

·
Premium Member
90,431 Posts
i will be buying the following bk xls 400 subwoofer with either denon x4100w or marantz sr7009, i was going to use kef t301 as atmos speakers as they are flat, but im thinking to use proper bookshelve speakers as atmos speakers, i have read in avforums a member uses a 5.1.2 config and the atmos speakers are placed above the front left and right speakers but higher up like front height speaker placement, and he says it works great. as he has a small room ceiling mount will not make much difference as the viewing distance is also 8 to 10 feet.

hence i am asking can i use 4 speakers and place them on front and rear wall as heights, the rear wall speakers will be above my head and the front heights with the wall mount will be 7 feet and not 8 feet as my main left and right will be. hope this help and someone can add some feedback to this set up and someone who is using this config will help even more.
Yes, this would work, however, if you're looking for someone with the same configuration you may want to review the spreadsheet available at the bottom of post #1 of the Atmos thread linked below. It lists roughly 100 AVSForum members and their speaker configurations, so if you find one with your desired setup, you can PM them directly to get their personal response.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html

·
Premium Member
90,431 Posts
How good is your base system? You're going through a lot here to get Atmos though it's only supported on a few titles most of which are terrible.
Most Atmos AVR owners have been far more impressed with what the Dolby Surround upmixer does with non-Atmos movies so the lack of Atmos titles at this point is moot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most Atmos AVR owners have been far more impressed with what the Dolby Surround upmixer does with non-Atmos movies so the lack of Atmos titles at this point is moot.
your correct this is the main reason i want atmos and that is because of the DSU, thats why im not bothered about DTS X because from what i am reading there wont be a significant difference between them. and so far people have been happy with DSU, and if DSU is as good as ive read than even if there wont be many atmos titles i will be more than happy because for starters im sure just DSU alone will be a huge upgrade over standard 5.1 set up.

thanks for the link i will have a read about placing atmos speakers in wall rather than ceiling.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Well they spent a lot of money on Atmos. What else are they gonna say?

For someone with a low end system to be spending a lot of time and money on Atmos instead of a properly setup more basis system with better speakers is probably not the best strategy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, this would work, however, if you're looking for someone with the same configuration you may want to review the spreadsheet available at the bottom of post #1 of the Atmos thread linked below. It lists roughly 100 AVSForum members and their speaker configurations, so if you find one with your desired setup, you can PM them directly to get their personal response.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version.html
hi would you say if i have front height and rear height speaker placement above the fronts and surrounds that will work for auro 3d better than atmos?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry one last question would using kef t101 or 301 as heights work well? im thinking to use atmos and auro 3d using FH and SH set up.

·
Premium Member
90,431 Posts
hi would you say if i have front height and rear height speaker placement above the fronts and surrounds that will work for auro 3d better than atmos?
Auro 3D ideal speaker placement is Front Height and Surround Height on the walls rather than on the ceiling.

sorry one last question would using kef t101 or 301 as heights work well? im thinking to use atmos and auro 3d using FH and SH set up.
As long as they are aimed at the main listening position, yes.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the surround height will be flat against the wall as it will be wall mounted, and these speakers are WAF so it sucks i cant get optimal set up for either atmos or auro 3d, maybe dts x might be for me then?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well they spent a lot of money on Atmos. What else are they gonna say?

For someone with a low end system to be spending a lot of time and money on Atmos instead of a properly setup more basis system with better speakers is probably not the best strategy.
w
Would you consider a denon 3200 with the Sony core speakers, tower fronts and bookshelf rear, a good start to go further and implement atmos?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am forced to have my setup all in front using the Virtual Cinema 3D 5.1 with two Dolby Atmos as front presence. They are sitting on top of the SL/SR floor standing speakers against the wall. It works pretty good but I was wondering if I can use my Dolby Atmos speakers as my main front left and right. I would switch my current FL/FR speakers and place them on the SL/SR and use the Dolby Atmos as the main F/L, would that be an improvement or would it be a waste of time, I would like to avoid going through the hassle if it is an obvious bad choice.

Thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts