AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have noticed a lot of blu-ray movies (especially lions gate releases) show dolby digital ex and dts es or hd tracks on them. do these movies not have regular dd 5.1 and dts tracks on them? i ask because my receiver only has decoders for dd5.1 and dts (regular). i know, i know, it is old. does this mean i am screwed if i want to watch these movies? or is there some way that the ps3 can send the sound to my receiver and i can still get true discrete surround sound with my pitiful old receiver?

· Registered
949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by legbone /forum/post/0

i have noticed a lot of blu-ray movies (especially lions gate releases) show dolby digital ex and dts es or hd tracks on them. do these movies not have regular dd 5.1 and dts tracks on them? i ask because my receiver only has decoders for dd5.1 and dts (regular). i know, i know, it is old. does this mean i am screwed if i want to watch these movies? or is there some way that the ps3 can send the sound to my receiver and i can still get true discrete surround sound with my pitiful old receiver?

Check your PS3 manual. The answer is in there. I can tell you though, that you're going to get some type of output that is compatible with your receiver, probably dolby digital 5.1 and dts (regular).

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, will do. thanks for the info.

edit: i checked the manual and believe it or not it just states 5.1 is the max that will be sent over optical. doesn't really go into any detail. guess i will set it to bitstream and hope i get the core 5.1 and dts sound instead of no sound (or even worse, the screech of death). i hope this works because it would suck to have to either get a new receiver or listen to blu-ray discs through the tv only.

· Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by legbone /forum/post/0

okay, will do. thanks for the info.

edit: i checked the manual and believe it or not it just states 5.1 is the max that will be sent over optical. doesn't really go into any detail. guess i will set it to bitstream and hope i get the core 5.1 and dts sound instead of no sound (or even worse, the screech of death). i hope this works because it would suck to have to either get a new receiver or listen to blu-ray discs through the tv only.

I have a PS3 and I listen to all my movies in bitstream via optical and never had a problem and the sound is phenominal. KOH plays DTS just fine, sounds good and thats DTS-HD, but I believe the PS3 just plays it at 1.5 mbps bit rate which is awsome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.